What do ya'll think of this motor combo

Nik_95Cobra

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Tempe, Arizona
hometown.aol.com
Hey guys. Well, a guy's supposed to be buying one of my other cars this morning. So assuming he pulls through I've been motor shopping. I want to keep it simple and go with a crate motor...And was wondering what you guys thought about this combo. It's a 331 CHP Street Fighter.

331ci Street Fighter

4.000 to 4.040 bore - 3.250 stroke - Flat top piston

Cast steel crankshaft
CHP CNC Beam forged steel connecting rods
Probe SRS forged pistons
Dished and Blower Dish pistons available
Probe Industries hydraulic roller camshaft
Edelbrock Performer cylinder heads

I want something where I can pretty much go out with the old and in with the new. I know I'll need dyno time to make it idle well. I think I remember seeing a while back that the newer edelbrok heads were similar to AFR's is this correct? Another thing about CHP is that I get a discount from them so that helps me out. After this is all done and I get bored with it I may S/c it as well. Right now this looks like it would be the easiest thing to do. What do ya'll think? I hope this guy doesn't back out, he went to get the money from the bank yesterday so it seems like a for sure thing but you know how people are...

-Nik

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah the new edelbrock heads can really make some power. I have them and my combo(cam) is pretty mild and my numbers seem right on par with most AFR combos that you see. Id say go for it, also i would just keep the compression around stock or somewhere in the 9:1 area because then it can make power N/A and still take about 8-10psi of boost.

I'm going to be honest with you, so beware :)

That combo you listed is gonna be a turd. The 2.02 edelbrock heads are good but if your starting from scratch go better. Get an edelbrock victor jr head for practically the same price and a custom grind cam. Not some weak mismatched OTS cam that CHP picks for you. Have Jay allen or Ed curtis set you up right and with a matching valve spring kit.

What you listed would struggle to hit 350rwhp which IMO is embarrising for a stroker. Get a 347 over a 331 (why give up 16 FREE cubes??) Cubes = more power potential. With just these minor changes I mentioned you've gone from a slow 350rwhp to easy 400rwhp n/a. 10.5:1 347 with Edelbrock victor jr's, edelbrock RPM II manifold and a custom grind from Ed or Jay, 75mm tb, 1 3/4" longtubes and you'll be seeing easy 400rwhp under 6500rpm :cool:

I'm not looking at it as a final combo, I can change the cam later and such. I want something where I can pull out the old crap and throw in the new without having to piece together a motor. Other things can change later. I want this to be emissions legal BTW...Not sure if the Victor Jr. is or not. I don't want high compression because I plan to run a bit of boost on it later, nothing major only like 8-10 lbs. I also heard from boosted guys that the 331's the better rod ratio for a S/C. And that a 347 would be better if I planned on staying N/A which I don't. :shrug:

Pretty much I just want this to just be an all around fun car. I don't want to have to fool with too much, if I want to build a track car I'd get another earlier fox body or something. Whichever route I go I'm sure an Ed C cam will make it in there at some point. For now I just want to go out/in...

Rod ratio means nothing. The only reason some choose 331 for blower cars is more meat on the top of the piston. With your 8-10lbs that'll be like sneezing on a 347 piston. If your seriouslyt worroed about rod ratio, you do know that chp has a 5.315" rod 347 kit with I believe the same rod ratio as a 331. These are the rods i'm using. NOT because of the rod ratio but because the "worser" rod ratio 5.4" rods I wanted were on a long ass back order so I didnt wanna hold the project up. My builder called me and asked if I minded switching and I switched.

More importantly than rod ratio (which means nothing btw) what block are using for this 600rwhp potential car? I HOPE not a stock block if you plan on abusing it. Sure it'll work but its a time bomb.

If your staying with a stock block build a killer n/a stroker, if you want to boost it IMO get a real block.

The biggest out of the box head i know of that has emission ports is afr 185's.

So there's absolutely NO negative side effects of the same kit but a 347 with the 5.315 rods? How much more HP/Torque would a 347 put out over an identical setup on a 331? I think a BIG thing about the 331 would be piece of mind. Would take some of the fear out however warranted or not it may be. Yes the block would remain stock, I know girdles just hold it together after it breaks but I just plain can't afford a kit with a better block. This is 85% a street car also. It's seen the track 3 times in the 3 years I've owned it. And of those times in a given night you get maybe 3-4 runs due to how crowded it always is. I was also looking at the FMS crates and for the one with the sportsman block it was wayyyy more than this combo even with my discount.

Nik, theres no negative side effects to begin with between a 331 and 347. If theres a doubt on your mind talk to some of the SMART guys on hardcore50.com.

I am gonna highly suggest you build a nice n/a 347 over a supercharger 331/347 since your using a stock block. The longevity of ANY engine is in the build/machine work and good parts. I don't like mass produced engines but if your getting a deal, go for the chp shortblock.

I would rather have the 5.4" rod kit for myself because the pistons are lighter. The 5.315" rods i'm getting are a little lighter than the 5.4" I was going to get but the 5.4" rod pistons are a decent amount less.

Nik_95Cobra said:
Pretty much I just want this to just be an all around fun car. I don't want to have to fool with too much, if I want to build a track car I'd get another earlier fox body or something. Whichever route I go I'm sure an Ed C cam will make it in there at some point. For now I just want to go out/in...
With that being said a blown 342 would be a nice medium imo. Not too much material is being removed from the stock block. Since it rarely hit's the track and is driven everyday I would seriously look into a 342 as an option Oink was able to make great hp/tq (turbo) while still using the stock cam.

Nik

I did not read your post or any other post cause the first thing that caught my eye was the number 331.

Having said that the first thing I wanted to do was reply with this main thing.

Go for the cubes and don't leave power on the table. What ever plans you've made or got on your mind you can do it all with the extra 16 cubic inches.

A mild combo has no prob making 1rwhp to 1 cubic inch.

Go For The Extra 16rwhp.

Later
Grady

Nik I would say look into a 342. Wsystang is right. And if you ever have any problems with it you still have the option to bore the block .030 over and have your 347. Build the car for boost cause you know you will end up doing that in the end. Call some of our local shops and see what they say about things. Since this is you DD you don't want to stay N/A and have to have a big cam and have the idling BS. Did you see Joe teal car down at the sonic, did you ever hear it idle? I think it is worth losing the cubes since it is a street car.

Dustin

NEVER, EVER, EVER give up cubes in a street car. You will be sorry.

The heads are too small, the cam is lame, and don't put a piston that has a lower compression ratio of 9:1 in the car or it will run like garbage N/A. 9:1 compression is perfectly safe for a boosted car.

For all other things, ask Mike (Grn92LX).... :D

Joe

True Joe, Maybe CHP has other heads or cam options avaliable than what's listed in the description. I was wanting the emissions legal 185's above all else. I just have to make sure it's something I can afford too. Once I have the cash in hand I'll contact CHP and see what they could do. Isn't the eddy performer head similar to a afr 165? And I agree it seems that green92's on top of the 347 info. Im not rich so whichever I buy will be a big deal moneywise to me and I want to make sure I beat the subject to death before I choose. My reason for wanting a s/c beforehand was that I figured it'd make up for having a less stout combo and that it'd be easier to afford over time. But the S/C reliability issues kinda freak me out too since my last vortech was nothing but problems (not a stang)...

First----> Mike has made some true and well formed statements about your car.

My Opinion-------> Anyone who builds a stock blocked 331/347 for use with a blower has waisted good money. You can break the stock block just as easily with a stock 302 assembly inside of it and a blower. What are you looking for? 450, 500, 550 RWHP? You can do that with the stock shortblock but when you get to the 500+ range you're on borrowed. The 331/347 cars are in the same position when using a stock block so why waist the money?

FWIW I would never suggest building a 331 over a 347 for your street car...but if you must feel free it's your money to waist.

Nik_95Cobra said:
True Joe, Maybe CHP has other heads or cam options avaliable than what's listed in the description. I was wanting the emissions legal 185's above all else. I just have to make sure it's something I can afford too. Once I have the cash in hand I'll contact CHP and see what they could do. Isn't the eddy performer head similar to a afr 165? And I agree it seems that green92's on top of the 347 info. Im not rich so whichever I buy will be a big deal moneywise to me and I want to make sure I beat the subject to death before I choose. My reason for wanting a s/c beforehand was that I figured it'd make up for having a less stout combo and that it'd be easier to afford over time. But the S/C reliability issues kinda freak me out too since my last vortech was nothing but problems (not a stang)...

You talk about blown reliability issues and I also have thought about it many times when thinking about my future plans.

I like the way you can make a 300 to 325rwhp mild na 302 combo behave like a stocker with a custom tune.

I see no reason you could not do the same thing with the larger 347 combo set up in the same fashion. The big difference would be you would have 350 to 375 rwhp.

I know you can get more power but I'm just pointing out an example that is mild and will give you no probs on the street whatsoever.

Power adders are great but more cubes are less of a hassle in some cases.

Later
Grady

I'd be happy with around 500 blown or 350-400 N/A. I think I've done a 180 and the N/A 347 seems exciting now...It's like a traffic jam of engine combos in my head it's just up to what I can afford to do I guess. I know I'd never be completely happy unless I could take John Forces Castrol Stang in the 1/4 and be 100% reliable. :)

final5-0 said:
You talk about blown reliability issues and I also have thought about it many times when thinking about my future plans.

I like the way you can make a 300 to 325rwhp mild na 302 combo behave like a stocker with a custom tune.

I see no reason you could not do the same thing with the larger 347 combo set up in the same fashion. The big difference would be you would have 350 to 375 rwhp.

I know you can get more power but I'm just pointing out an example that is mild and will give you no probs on the street whatsoever.

Power adders are great but more cubes are less of a hassle in some cases.

Later
Grady
agreed.....theres no replacement for displacement.....