What Gas Station Do You Use?

• Sponsors (?)

merc123 said:
Never heard of Esso
It's the Exxon of the rest of the world. Esso changed to Exxon back in the 70's in the states.

I've noted here before that there is a Shell depot near my work. They have all kinds of fuel trucks for resellers coming and going. I tend to stick with the places that don't get gas from foriegn oil though.

PATRONIZE THESE GAS STATIONS:
Here are some large companies that do not import middle eastern oil:

Citgo..........0 barrels (Circle K uses Citgo)
Sunoco.........0 barrels
Conoco.........0 barrels
Sinclair.......0 barrels
BP/Phillips....0 barrels
Hess...........0 barrels
USResolve.org

Chevron is the only thing I have ever used in all of my cars. So what if its 10 cents more a gallon...... $1.50 more a tank big deal and I know thats its good. What are you going to do, Waste a gallon of gas drivin around to save $1 ? Makes no sense at all

Brisk281GT said:
I use 89 on the stang. I used to use premium (91) but I have heard from some that it is not good to use the higher octane fuels unless timing is incresed. :shrug: So I just use a midgrade. Anyone have any input? :shrug:

If you ever worry about using old gas, midgrade is probably the worst to get.
The most popular grade overall is obviously 87 which I would run unless you've increased compression, timing, or have a power adder. You might need a little extra octane in the summer to prevent knock, but you get more power and efficiency out of the 87's hotter burn.
The second most popular grade is premium because of the high compression motors in luxury cars. Very few cars spec 89 octane from the factory, so it sits in tanks and I would think has a greater chance of getting water in it.
I get 87 from any QuikTrip because they're all busy.

FYI: This is Sunoco's plant in Tulsa on 3/23. OOPS!

040324_a9_firee_A12fire24.jpg

coramprat said:
It's the Exxon of the rest of the world. Esso changed to Exxon back in the 70's in the states.

I've noted here before that there is a Shell depot near my work. They have all kinds of fuel trucks for resellers coming and going. I tend to stick with the places that don't get gas from foriegn oil though.

PATRONIZE THESE GAS STATIONS:
Here are some large companies that do not import middle eastern oil:

Citgo..........0 barrels (Circle K uses Citgo)
Sunoco.........0 barrels
Conoco.........0 barrels
Sinclair.......0 barrels
BP/Phillips....0 barrels
Hess...........0 barrels
USResolve.org

Got this off of snopes.com, Don't believe everything you hear

Wrong.... The DoE tracks oil imports by company each month, and although the raw data are a little hard to follow (fortunately, the DoE also provides an explanation of their symbols), for February 2002 the totals were as follows:

CITGO is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the national oil company of Venezuela, so naturally most of its crude oil comes from there. However, in February 2002 CITGO also imported from Middle Eastern countries in the following quantities:
Iraq: 1,342,000 barrels
Kuwait: 437,000 barrels

Conoco imports primarily from Mexico, Venezuela, and Canada, and not from Middle Eastern countries. However, they are planning to merge with Phillips, which does import from Middle Eastern countries (see below).

BP imports from a variety of oil-producing countries, but in February 2002 BP North America also imported from Middle Eastern countries in the following quantities:
Iraq: 470,000 barrels
Kuwait: 415,000 barrels
Saudi Arabia: 2,123,000 barrels
Algeria: 3,853,000 barrels

Phillips also imports from a variety of oil-producing countries, but in February 2002 Phillips imported from Middle Eastern countries in the following quantities:
Iraq: 717,000 barrels
Saudi Arabia: 1,100,000 barrels

Sinclair imports from Canada, not the Middle East.

Sunoco imports primarily from Canada, Angola, and Nigeria, not Middle Eastern countries.
So, "doing the math" and multiplying these monthly figures by $30/barrel and projecting them over the course of a year, supporting only the companies listed above would still be putting $3.76 billion dollars per year in the coffers of Middle Eastern countries.

Statistics aside, the glaring fallacy here is the suggestion that we could possibly buy our gasoline only from these selected companies. This notion is like claiming that we could put the big grocery chains out of business if we all bought our food only from small mom & pop stores, but ignoring the fact that these small shops couldn't possibly come close to supplying all our grocery needs. The oil companies named above are relatively small (which is a large part of the reason why they don't necessarily import from the Middle East) and could not satisfy the demand that would be created if a significant portion of the USA's consumer base were to shun all the largest oil companies, unless they bought up the output of the companies we were supposed to be avoiding in the first place (or, alternatively, unless they raised their prices sky-high).

Moreover, the idea that oil companies sell gasoline only through their branded service stations -- and therefore if you don't buy gasoline from Shell-branded gas stations you're not sending money to Shell (or, by extension, the Middle East) -- is wrong. Oil companies sell their output through a variety of outlets other than their branded stations; as well, by the time crude oil gets from the ground into our gasoline tanks, there's no telling exactly where it came from. (A good deal of the crude oil purchased from Russia, for example, is oil from Iraqi fields sold through Russian middlemen.)