What happened to 6 spd in 2005?

• Sponsors (?)

They also said it would have IRS, but it wont. Ford had a problem, the chassis was a lot more expensive, as well as the improved interior, ect. but they couldnt raise the price too much, so they dropped the IRS and 6 spd (I'm pretty sure the 6 spd was always a "maybe" on the GT tho). In fact, the '05 GT was origionally supposed to be only available in IRS, then they changed it to IRS as an option, and now they have decided to go without the IRS entirely.

It's a rather straightforward reason.

Up until 20 months ago the Mustang was going to have IRS on all models, 6 speed MTX trannies and other sorts of fancy stuff. Then Phil Martens came in from Mazda, took a look at the Mustang program and decided that the projected cost of the new Mustang had gotten out of control. He then ordered that a lot of the fancy stuff be removed from the Mustang to keep the sticker price reasonably close to the 2004 (both V6 & V8).

351CJ said:
It's a rather straightforward reason.

Up until 20 months ago the Mustang was going to have IRS on all models, 6 speed MTX trannies and other sorts of fancy stuff. Then Phil Martens came in from Mazda, took a look at the Mustang program and decided that the projected cost of the new Mustang had gotten out of control. He then ordered that a lot of the fancy stuff be removed from the Mustang to keep the sticker price reasonably close to the 2004 (both V6 & V8).

But at least we get 150 different dash colors to choose from. As well as a 1000 watt "Shaker" stereo system :rolleyes:

I would rather have white dash lights and the aftermarket stereo of my choice.

Personally though, I could care less than to take part in the meaningless 6-speed/IRS woulda been, coulda been, shoulda been debate. It is a waste of time and energy to cry over something that is out of my control.

Carry on.

angliam said:
the reason they didn't put a 6-speed tranny in the 2005's is because you don't need one. the more torque you have means the fews gears you need, and the 3V provides plenty of torque. the 6-speed has become a status symbol more than a functional piece of equipment.

I agree with you, there is little need for a 6 speed manual in the GT. As you say its just a status symbol.

I have tried to explain this several times, but I don't think it's sinking in. All the T-56 trannie adds is another OD ratio of 0.80. 6th in the T56 is exactly the same as 6th in the T3650 @ 0.62. So all the 6 speed adds is another gear between 4th & 5th on the T3650. 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears would not change (unless you got the Cobra T56 which has taller 1st & 2nd gears, but this is not what you would want on a 300 HP car. You'd want a lower 1st gear.)

So a T56 is not going to help you go faster, and the only use the 0.80 OD would have is if you're cruising around 60 MPH & want to drop the revs, but not all the way down to the 0.62 OD.