what is an 85 notchback 5.0 worth?

91lxvert

Dec 13, 2003
someone i know is selling a 85 lx california highway patrol car 5spd 5.0

it has about 131k miles, starts and runs well, 3rd gear sincro is going out, needs waterpump and smog.
paint aint the best, interior is beautiful, rims are steel and black

what do you think is a reasonable price for this car

also what are some ways to modify this car? (cheap)
what factory parts work on this for performance(289 heads?)

i know mostly about the efi 5.0 but not much about the carbed 5.0

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Its actually worth a lot more than you would think since it is a collectors car and the 85 5.0 coupes are really rare and it is also a SSP car makes it even more rare. It really depends on the buyer and looking at the blue book value will give false impressions on a vehicle like that.

You guys are crazy, but if you get it for $900, you just got the deal of the century. If it was my car, in the condition you described I wouldn't sell it for a lick under 2g. Check the ssp values, mint restored versions are fetching 6-10 grand + now. I'd jump on that car, just don't butcher it too badly. Make sure it still has the correct buck tags on the front end, or there is no way you'll ever prove it was an ssp car.

Just thought I would add to this and say I have a guy driving all the way from MO to Cal and back in his truck and trailer to pick up a BARE STRIPPED ssp shell that I have in my garage. The car was wrecked. I stripped it. He's driving all the way over here to pick up this shell, take it back straighten the frame and restore it. God I wished I'd had the money to fix that one.

I've had 4k+ offers on mine, not close to 5k but 4500ish, but i've also got lots of new performance parts all over my car...

You can probably get it for cheap, but these cars are seriously getting more and more rare...here's some random SSP facts:

There were aprox. 20k SSP Mustangs built from '82-'93, Those of course being the Fox chassis cars.
Most of those 20K were either wrecked in the line of duty or destroyed after retirment.
Another good majority have been sold to the public and driven into the ground and probably scrapped (more than likely older ones like mine and the one in question, but 4 eyed SSPs especially)
The oldest of these cars are 20+ years old, making the probability of finding one in nice shape very rare, especially given the life that these cars lived.

My car isnt anywhere near flawless. The body needs some TLC, both doors need replaced, and there are various dints and dings throughout the body, not to mention it's been repainted and then spraypaint-touchup'ed and looks like crap. The shell is for the most part rust free, except for some very minor spots than can easily be fixed. The chassis however, is near mint condition, and the bottom of the car still has factory overspray still visible. The trunk is completely rust free, as is the entire under-hood area/firewall/floorboard.

Most people couldnt care less, but these cars are going to be worth "something" more than the average fox Mustang in 20 years, especially the restored to service condition cars.

I wouldn't hesitate to drop $1500 on it if it was clean; $2,000+ if it's clean and REALLY straight. Sounds like it needs a little work, but as others said, how many '85 SSP cars do you think are still around; much less '85 notchbacks.

yeah i only saw it at night due to time constraints and the carpet has some stains and a crack or 2 in the dash the seats are mint front and rear paint has dimples in it from horibble prep work but i think its in good shape, plus it being a california car helps on the rust factor.

The owner has the file from the chp listing records for repair and maintnence and the owners afterward also kept the records. so the whole cars history is there

ill probably shoot for it but i dont seem to have the fundage lying around so time to beg the grandparents !

he is kinda hurtin for money and there is a small title mix up and smog ill have to deal with but i think ill go for it!

thanks for all the input guys oh and what are some basic mods for these carbed wonders?

thanks again

Man if you've got records on the car, that makes it worth even more...i have yet to dig my buck tags out of my car so i havent researched my car yet, but knowing where this one came from makes it so much better.