what should I do

UrbanRedneck

Mar 27, 2008
Ok, here's the story. II got a pair of 255/50/16 MT ET Street Drag Radials for free off my brothers Camaro because he got slicks. They sat in my garage for about 3 months. I searched and searched for wheels for them so that I could use them, as we thought they were still usable (my other thread expalins this). I finally bout wheels for it, 16 inch waffle wheels off a 95 GT, and mounted the tires Friday. I got a helluva deal on the wheels so I am not out a whole lot of cash, just time and aggravation. Well, anyway, turns out the tires are not usable. I just wish I had inspected them closer BEFORE I went and bought wheels specifically for them.

When I was looking, I considered buying a pair of 17 inch S197 GT wheels for the perfect fit, then just getting new DRs, but figured I'd go with the 16s since I only had to buy wheels that way. Now that I have to buy tires either way, I wish I would have gone the other route.

The reasons for this are that the waffle wheels are (as you know) not a perfect fit, I have not tried them yet, but know that they stick out slightly. Also, 255/50 is the only size MT DR that I can find for them. I know that this is plenty of tire for even a real fast car, but still. If I got 17s, I could run a 275 DR. But, I also know that a 16 will have a taller sidewall for better traction, but at the same time nobody seems to have problems with traction on 17s.

So here are my two choices: Keep the wheels I bought, and buy a new pair of 255/50/16 ET Street DRs. I will obviously stick with the 16 inch rim, have a taller sidewall, but imperfect backspacing. This will allow me to stick with what I already have though.

Choice 2: Sell these wheels. I am sure I could sell them for more than I paid for them, easily (got 4 for 85 bucks). Then buy a pair of 17 inch wheels and get 275 DRs. The benefit to this is that I will have wheels that are the right size and backspacing. I found a guy selling 2 wheels from an 05 for 50 bucks. Or I could try and find a pair of the same wheels I have, so it wouldn't even look goofy. The downside to this is all the wasted effort, and the fact that I will have to sell the other ones and whatnot (I'm not made of money either).

This really pisses me off, I feel like a moron for not checking the tires closely. I really don't want to pay $350 for DRs right now. But I want to decide with path to take for when I am ready to buy them. I was in a hurry to get these mounted by this weekend (going to the track tomorrow), but I guess I'll get more practice with the stock tires. So given the two choices, what should I do?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd go for the 17's, I have a seperate set of 275 Nitto DR's on a set of bullet wheels for track use, which rarely happens to begin with. My friend who used them previously ran strong on them, and all my other s197's do also. I'd just get a set of 17's and call it a day. If you were near me, I don't know for certain if you are or not, i'd let you borrow my set lol. It's worth the effort to get the correct wheels.