Whats the best Shift points for an AODE??????

Redsnake2

Aug 8, 2005
Philly, PA
OK DON just gave me his list for my custom chip burn, And I know all the info except. Where do I want my AODE to shift.. As you know I'm doing the twin turbo thing. I will have a 2400 stall converter and this will be a semi-daily driver..

At what RPM should my tranny shift from 1-2 2-3 and 3-4?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, here's my input - I'd start with the 1-2 at 5600 and the 2-3 at 5400 and have me set the 3-4 at 7000 - manily because you NEVER want to do a WOT shift to OD. With a turbo, do it once and goodbye tranny.

The more power you have the lower I have to command the shift points - when we set shift points we essentially guess where the shifts will happen. Manily because there is nothing in the software (for WOT) that will shift the tranny exactly at a certain RPM. We set trigger points - once the trigger points have been hit, the shifting process within the tranny starts - and all the while the engine keeps revving. Finally it completes and then it shifts. For a 5600 1-2 shift, I might command a 4800 RPM 1-2 shift.

This is why it takes reburns to dial it in properly.

Don

SilverFoxbody said:
7K sounds pretty WOT to me?
Maybe a typo?

Basically he's giving the guy extra time to let up. I can tell you first hand with a near stock engine you get 2-3 WOT shifts into O/D and then O/D is FRIED.

What Don is saying makes perfect sense to me.

BTW - Don, can you program the O/D shut off to default to OFF instead of having to manually shut it off. I personally only use O/D on the highway, and would rather manually turn it on.

WOT OD shift or not, 7000rpm sounds pretty f'n wild for a shift setting. Unless I don't follow you, you are saying you want OD to shift at 7000RPM! That is insane...maybe you mean 700. I know you do a bit of AODE/4R work, so please fill me in, as you are SCT tuner as well.

As for the OD switch, there is a toggle on the car already that keeps you out of OD.

The TCC is commonly on a switch Auto/On/Off

Maybe I should wait for Don to answer, but to me, what he is saying is he is setting the shift to O/D as far out there as possible, that way the computer can't ever shift into it while you have your foot to the floor. You will have to lift to get it to shift or it will just stay in third.

Now as far as your comment to me abou the O/D toggle. I know it's there, that's why I asked if a chip could reverse it to work the opposite of how it does. :wink:

Well when Don burns this chip for me I have to decided to let his experiance on the shift points over ride my ignorance.

So Don if your reading this, put the shift points at were you think is best for my car!!!!!

7000 RPM at WOT is NOT a typo and it's NOT wild in the least - it's very conservative - mainly because you will hit the rev limiter waaayyy before you hit 7000, not to mention if you have no limiter, float valves, collapse lifters and probably break a rod or two. In other words - it will PREVENT the tranny from going to OD at WOT in most cases because it'll never see 7000. This is good - VERY good for a turbo or blower car and good for an NA car. Sometimes setting it that high doesn't work with all processors so it's also necessay to hit the button too.

There is no way to reverse program the button - in 94-95's it's all controlled by the TCMS black box. Wish there was.

Don

:bang: Darnit. Hey Redsnake2, please report back on your results. :nice: I plan on an engine build up this winter. Ohio isn't THAT far away, I'll just see how the car runs after an engine swap to see how hard it'll be to get it to Don to tune on. :) That is unless Don can recommend someone closer.

Redsnake2 said:
OK DON just gave me his list for my custom chip burn, And I know all the info except. Where do I want my AODE to shift.. As you know I'm doing the twin turbo thing. I will have a 2400 stall converter and this will be a semi-daily driver..

At what RPM should my tranny shift from 1-2 2-3 and 3-4?

With stock heads/cam/intake I would shift at 5k for all gears. The cam is the biggest determining factor for your powerband.
Scott

"As you know I'm doing the twin turbo thing"

I assumed this meant, he wasn't using the stock intake. :shrug:

As far as a stock cam, I can show you the timeslips and the dyno charts to prove you can get more out of the car than shifting at 5,000 in my built AODE with a stall.

Cool I would like to see those, as far as a built AODE, mine is done right, but after 1600 for the rebuild I ran a little short for the TC. Just got a 2400 from Drakesdad and I think Don will set me up pretty close with the chip..