Whats the difference between an suv 4.6 and a mustang 4.6?

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
I happend to notice a website selling a 4.6 SUV motor w/ 600 miles on it for a good price. I know it has an aluminum block and puts out 232 hp, 290 ft lbs of torque. What makes that motor have less power than the mustang? Is it all in the cams? I was possibly thinking about picking it up and sticking my stage 1 cams in it with an aftermarket intake and long tubes, but would I be loosing power? or is there some other modifications I need to do to the motor to give it more power?

• Sponsors (?)

I believe the only differance is the intake on it (its set up for more torque then HP rating)... cams should be the same, i know the F150 engine that i got had the same cams in it, the crown vic also has the same cams..

Just to get things strait......all 4.6L Explores are PI engines. On top of that, they've got the same cams and intake as the Mustangs does as well. The difference in horsepower comes from the single exhaust and tune of the ECU. The Explorer engine swap is very common among the T-Bird/Cougar crowd.

Just to get things strait......all 4.6L Explores are PI engines. On top of that, they've got the same cams and intake as the Mustangs does as well. The difference in horsepower comes from the single exhaust and tune of the ECU. The Explorer engine swap is very common among the T-Bird/Cougar crowd.

There it is- that helps out a lot! What about the ECU... What would work best with it? anything?

Can I pull the motor and reinstall the new motor with long tubes on? If I do this im also going to either repair my headers or go with a set of stainless steel headers.

I have never pulled a motor before, is it very hard?

It depends on the kind of headers you've got. Some will come out with them on, others need to be removed from the head first. My Cougar was a real bitch to pull (twice :bang: ), but I was able to do it without removing the headers.....but they're Kooks mid-length though. The MN12's are notably tighter under the hood though.

well I have bbk long tubes, and I can tell you the heads wont pull out with the headers still attatched- tried to do that this summer when I was replacing a head gasket. I wish I would have just done this swap then. Anyways, does $1895 sound like a good price for the motor?