Wheel/Axle Shopping

Mr. Potato Head

Apr 21, 2005
DFW
I know there are a lot of wheel threads on here, however, I have a simple question and couldn't find a simple answer.

I have 4 lug right now. If I switch to 5 lug it will be stock width products. Since I am just going to get some Welds, I don't need to switch to 5 lug for wheel fitment.

So with that said, is there any advantage in switching to 5 lug (besides better brakes)? Is it stronger?

Also, one last question. With the stock Fox width, front and rear, what would a 15X8 wheel with 5.50 bs look like? Is this the right size? What size should I get if I want all 4 wheels to have the same width and backspacing? Can I fit 15X9 all the way around? Thanks!

I want the wheels to be close to the fenders but not sticking out (at all). I also do not want to roll the fenders. I will remove the quad shocks though....

• Sponsors (?)

There are two main advantages to 5 lug:

1) Safety of having 5 studs / nuts hold the tire on the chasis. If 1 of 4 (on 4 lug) breaks off, you can pretty much say good bye to that tire. If 1 of 5 (on 5 lug) breaks off, your tire will stay in place.

2) Wheel choices. As you can see most of the Aftermarket wheel compainies use the 5 lug pattern for their wheels. There are a few places that make 4 lug rims but most agree that the pattern looks strange with 5 spoke wheels.

As for axle strength.... The only way to get a stronger axle (say for drag racing / hard launches) you need to increase the spline count. Going from the factory 28 to 31 typically increases the contact area of the joint for better load distribution.

I can't comment on wheels though... I like my turbine's!

5 lugs are stronger than 4 just like increasing spline count is. It distributes the load more.

You can get stronger 4 lug axles by going to an aftermarket supplier without getting to 31 spline axles.

Mr. Potato Head said:
...question.
With the stock Fox width, front and rear, what would a 15X8 wheel with 5.50 bs look like?
Is this the right size?
What size should I get if I want all 4 wheels to have the same width and backspacing?
Can I fit 15X9 all the way around?

I want the wheels to be close to the fenders but not sticking out (at all). I also do not want to roll the fenders. I will remove the quad shocks though....

1. I don't know the stock Back spacing so I can not tell you (sorry)
2. See answer #1
3. See answer #2 which refers you to answer #1
4. Yes, you can run 9" wide rims at all 4 corners of the car. You might get some rubbing in the front at full lock but some simple rack limiters can cure that problem.