where to buy BEST quality replacements?

Snail50

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2001
Miami
I see that a lot of places sell replacement trim, but I'm wondering if there is one source or manufacturer whose products really shine (pardon the pun) as far as quality, fit, etc. (Rocker panels, bright wheel-well trim, trunk mouldings, etc.)
The 68 I checked out this weekend looked like it had cheap replacement trim, so that in places there was a thin plastic film peeling off, and it just had a cheap, insubstantial feel to it.
Also, who makes the best quality pop-open gas-caps (67-68 type specifically)?

• Sponsors (?)

First, realize that they simply AREN"T that many manufacturers of such parts althought they are offered through different sources. A great deal of variation in quality many be found in products from the same source. I once bought (by mail-order) a set of repro bumpers that were so bad that I put them on a car that I was going to sell. I asked the vendor to HAND-SELECT a better set and they did just that.

Second, understand the relationship between CHEAP and QUALITY (See Timeless Wisdom #4). If you want a low-ball price, expect quality to suffer. If you establish a relationship with a quality vendor, even if the cost is a little greater, quality remarkably improves.

Thanks SuperDave. I certainly don't mind paying more for solid, good-quality parts. I like to save money, of course, but hate to do things on the cheap, as in skimp on quality just to save money.

Any suggestions on a GOOD source? How is NPD in that respect?

I've been requesting catalogs from all over in anticipation of having to do some "cleaning up" on any Mustang I buy.

Thanks, Matt.
If you bought replacement trim, did it have a solid, high-quality feel to it? Like I said above, the 68 I looked at this weekend had really thin, weak trim...soda can quality. The original trim on my 67 had a solid look and feel, and I want to know if there is replacement trim available that is as good or better quality than the originals.

Snail50 said:
I see that a lot of places sell replacement trim, but I'm wondering if there is one source or manufacturer whose products really shine (pardon the pun) as far as quality, fit, etc. (Rocker panels, bright wheel-well trim, trunk mouldings, etc.)
The 68 I checked out this weekend looked like it had cheap replacement trim, so that in places there was a thin plastic film peeling off, and it just had a cheap, insubstantial feel to it.
Also, who makes the best quality pop-open gas-caps (67-68 type specifically)?

I have Corvex reproduction moldings on my '65 fastback and they are quite good. Even better when buffed and polished prior to assembly.

The fit and finish depends on your skill. Fit is close but for example, on my fastback the rear glass moldings require trimming to fit the opening. Trim sides to fit first (cut off squarely). Fit top center piece (trim center top piece that does not overlap. Properly buffed and trimmed pieces look exceptional and at least as good as OEM.

The gas cap I have is a Pony Cars reproduction. It is a Ford licensed piece, meaning it meets FoMoCo's specification for OEM part.

I assume your talking about Chrome exterior trim..Like around windows and stuff?

The stuff I got from MustangsUnlimited was just as thick as the factory molding.

K.A.R. has a lot of NOS trim pieces in stock...Its a little more expensive but may be more of what youre looking for.

I am also looking to buy some vent window trim an have noticed a big diffrence in price most sell for 129.00 -139.00 , but it seems like the scott drake supplyers are pricing it at about 200.00 per side .see mustangdepot.com . Has anyone bought scott drake pieces an are they worth the added expense ?