Drivetrain Where to buy T5 synchros only, don't need full rebuild kit

I bought an 88 GT with a blown engine and recently got it running again. When I went to take it out for the first test drive I found out that the transmission grinds going into 2nd gear. I'm imagining the previous owner ruined the 2nd gear synchronizer.

Does anyone know of a place that sells individual transmission parts? The only thing I've been able to find is full rebuild kits. The transmission shifts into every other gear just fine so I don't want to buy a full rebuild kit, just the 2nd gear synchronizer and any other individual parts I might see that need replaced when I open it up.

I checked the trans fluid level and noticed it was filled with ATF. I've heard of people putting Synchromesh in to stop transmission grinds but I think if anything this would be a band aid fix for my trans since it's only 2nd gear that grinds and we know 2nd gear has a rough life.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I have bought parts from the following Tremec dealers and have had great service:

Astro Transmission Parts in Tavares, FL
Dederichs Motorsports in Ft. Worth, TX
Modern Driveline in Caldwell, ID
Silver Sport Transmissions in Rockford, TN

For me the best prices are typically Astro.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
I have bought parts from the following Tremec dealers and have had great service:

Astro Transmission Parts in Tavares, FL
Dederichs Motorsports in Ft. Worth, TX
Modern Driveline in Caldwell, ID
Silver Sport Transmissions in Rockford, TN

For me the best prices are typically Astro.
Awesome, thank you very much for the list of dealers, letting me know they had great service and the feedback about Astro's pricing.