Where to get door hinge pins replaced?

Kerpal

Aug 9, 2004
My driver door hinge pins are badly in need of replacement and it appears the lower pin is going to fight me coming out. I think it's rusted or bonded to the bottom part of the hinge and I don't have the time or proper tools to deal with it.

Can anyone reccomend a shop that will replace my hinge pins for a reasonable cost? I'd rather go somewhere that is familiar with this repair on Mustangs, rather than some ordinary body shop who will nickel and dime me for every step and end up charging me several hundred dollars. Plus, you guys know how most body shops are about getting cars back to you... I can't afford to be without my car for more than a few days at the most.

Maybe someone on here has replaced their hinge pins sucessfully and would be willing to do mine for a fair price?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have one day in the weekend available you can do it yourself. All you need is a dremel with a grinder, grind each one down flush to the hinge, hammer and punch it out, make sure you have a jack with a towl for padding under it the door. But DO NOT lift the door up. Only put very little pressure to support it, if you put to much you risk effin your door up. Then gently slide it out only slightly making sure you don't yank the wirings between the door and body. An extra person at this point would be handy to balance the door. You can pickup the replacement hinge parts at Schucks Auto or 5.0resto. You can do it yourself like I did, took me about 5hrs. One of the pins was giving me problems so I ended up just cutting. Oh yeah, also mask tape your fender and door jam so you don't chip the paint by accident.

Thanks guys, I might give it a second go when I get some free time in a couple weeks... I'll have to get ahold of a floor jack though, all I have is a bottle jack.

Can I buy the roller anywhere locally? I definately need one since my door doesn't stay open on it's own anymore. I haven't seen them at any autoparts stores and I hate to pay shipping on a $5 item.

I already did the striker bushings and they helped a lot with making the doors close tighter. Now I just need to put one on my trunk latch and hopefully it will quit popping open on me... :rlaugh:

A bottle jack will work, all you need is something to hold the door up when you take the pins out so it doesn't fall on the ground. It's a TON easier with a second pair of hands and a rolling floor jack if you need to reposition the door. If you don't have a dremmel to cut the ends off, you can use a metal saw blade (the whole saw won't fit in the amount of room you have to work with) and cut the old pins right through the middle and knock them out that way. The good news is the aftermarket pins are much easier to install and if neccesary, remove later on.

Kerpal said:
Thanks guys, I might give it a second go when I get some free time in a couple weeks... I'll have to get ahold of a floor jack though, all I have is a bottle jack.

Can I buy the roller anywhere locally? I definately need one since my door doesn't stay open on it's own anymore. I haven't seen them at any autoparts stores and I hate to pay shipping on a $5 item.

I already did the striker bushings and they helped a lot with making the doors close tighter. Now I just need to put one on my trunk latch and hopefully it will quit popping open on me... :rlaugh:
Just to let you know if you didn't. The striker latch is adjustable. You have to loosen it up, then pull it towards you, the slide it up, and push it back towards the car, then tighten. I did this and my door no longer has the 1/2" gap on the top side. I imagine any reputable parts shop should carry the roller. I believe it's pretty universal.

Thought I'd update this... I tried replacing the hinge pins myself but I couldn't get them out... they seemed to be fully welded to the hinges and I couldn't get the lower pin to budge.

I ended up having them replaced over at Dick Hannah Collision Center in Vancouver and they did a great job for much less than I expected. I also had them repair my floorpan and they did a great job on that as well, also at a very reasonable price. I would definately reccomend them to anyone and I may have them do some paintwork for me in the future. Just thought I'd let everyone know, as it's not often you can find a large bodyshop that is that cheap and easy to deal with...