Which intake for a nearly stock '94 GT?

MG-70

Aug 20, 2006
MD
I'm thinking of getting a stock, remanufactured, engine and was wondering which aftermarket intake would give me the best bang for the buck. The mild mods I have include K&N, 9mm wires, MSD 6A, MSD Blaster coil, FRPP stainless shorties, Bassani stainless X w/cats, and Bassani stainless cat-back and I don't plan on doing much else except maybe a larger MAF sensor and small stuff like that, if the motor asks for it.

So, look for used GT40 intake(s), stick with a new or used Edelbrock Performer, or is there anything else out there I should consider that's bolt-on, not custom-made? I've searched and found mainly recommendations for those two but can't tell the difference in performance for my particular application. Also, have no idea how to inspect a compatible, used, GT40 piece or how it can be ruined on disassembly or hard-use.

Also, if you know it, let me know if it'll fit under the regular hood with oem braces, etc.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

I would pick up a 94/95 Cobra intake and have it ported (by tmoss, if he is still doing that).

As for used intakes, watch for cracks on the ears where the upper bolts to the lower, or stripped threads on those bolt holes. The latter can be easily fixed with a helicoil, the former will require a welder who can do aluminum.

I really like my Explorer intake. Helped out quit a bit on the top end and had no negative effect on the bottom end torque. With this intake I went from a 14.469s to 14.103s 1/4ET in similar 90* weather days at the track. These intakes can be had for pretty low $$$.

Well your in luck I just happen to have a edel performer that I just took off of my cobra thats going up for sale this week. Ohh and I would say you would want a cobra, explorer, or edel performer. The Edel flows better stock for stock. I liked it but decided to go with the rpm intake because my car spins up to 6500 - 6800 rpm's and the performer couldnt keep up past 6000.

Man, just as I thought, no clear answer on what's best even given the application. I've contacted Tmoss for his recommendation but it seems as it's just a ported oem lower intake (as per his corral reply to similar post), which is a lot cheaper than an aftermarket (and looks oem, which to me is a good thing).

Pokageek, yes, I did notice a difference after the 6A and coil, though it's hard to describe in layman's terms...seemed as if the spark was stronger and longer and really noticeable when, say, right before downshifting. It was an extremely easy install, the hardest part being a custom made bracket for holding the box itself. Everything is reversible with one quick connection (good for diagnosing other stuff) and the oem parts all stay in their place. When I installed it I was less versed in diagnosing ignition-related problems; it turned out to be a $5 ignition pickup coil under the distributor plate, but by that time a lot of parts had been upgraded/replaced.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Why I went street heat:

1 - I don't have enough money/time to do a complete engine at once. I am doing it piecemeal. I won't be modifying the engine to the point where anything bigger is necessary for a while.

2 - The street heat and the track heat share the same lower, the track heat just has shorter runners. When I am ready to step up to more rpms, it takes about 45 minutes to swap an upper intake!!

3 - My eventual plan is a track heat upper with a ported lower.

4 - The eddie performer is a great piece but I don't think you can just swap on an RPM2 upper. They both have different lowers.

5 - I was thinking Cobra all the way till I learned about the expandability of the TFS system.

Adam

Black95GTS said:
Why I went street heat:

1 - I don't have enough money/time to do a complete engine at once. I am doing it piecemeal. I won't be modifying the engine to the point where anything bigger is necessary for a while.

2 - The street heat and the track heat share the same lower, the track heat just has shorter runners. When I am ready to step up to more rpms, it takes about 45 minutes to swap an upper intake!!

3 - My eventual plan is a track heat upper with a ported lower.

4 - The eddie performer is a great piece but I don't think you can just swap on an RPM2 upper. They both have different lowers.

5 - I was thinking Cobra all the way till I learned about the expandability of the TFS system.

Adam

Your right the edel RPM II lower is different than the performer, however the regular RPM uses the same lower as the performer, and most of us with the stock shortblock wont benefit from the RPM II in stockish form. Now if he were to say that he will be doing a H/C/I or blower or both I would recommend the RPM II. Look at my combo, I will be running the regular RPM, for the simple fact that I do not believe I need more with where im spinning my motor.

WHITE94COBRA said:
Your right the edel RPM II lower is different than the performer, however the regular RPM uses the same lower as the performer, and most of us with the stock shortblock wont benefit from the RPM II in stockish form. Now if he were to say that he will be doing a H/C/I or blower or both I would recommend the RPM II. Look at my combo, I will be running the regular RPM, for the simple fact that I do not believe I need more with where im spinning my motor.

I would agree with you except the RPM is no longer in production.

It's either performer or RPM 2.

Adam