Who here daily drives with 4.56's

• Sponsors (?)

5spd GT said:
Your tranny is different. Your tires are different than most.

You have another car...you take that green car on long trips, very very seldom.

Your going around town...and again, you have another car.

When you have another vehicle, little nuiances get less irritating. Your a good case in point.

My 3.73's put me at 2,400 rpm like in my other friends cars. Sorry, but 4.30's will do more than 2650.

Quit exxagerating and start laying down the average. Not special scenarios.

We don't car about your 3.73s. how is he "exxagerating", what special cases? are all cars with 4.56's supposed to have the same tranny and tire sizes? you are not helping the cause here man. If you have not had 4.56's then put your fellings in another gear post.

I just dont see why people feel the need to tell the guy not to run what he wants to run. I personally would run 4.56s or higher in a street daily driver also! I care more about getting that extra tenth out of the car and gearing it right, than I do about comfort.

I can only speculate the RPM, but like I said so long as its under 3000 RPM it wouldnt be that bad on a highway trip.

Wouldn't a stockish or a motor that doesn't scream need a 4.56 gear? I figured a steep gear like that wouldn't help much over 3.73s in a stock motored car since it would just race out of the powerband rather than actually pulling through it. Maybe my thinking isn't correct, but thats what I thought.

90_Red_LX said:
Wouldn't a stockish or a motor that doesn't scream need a 4.56 gear? I figured a steep gear like that wouldn't help much over 3.73s in a stock motored car since it would just race out of the powerband rather than actually pulling through it. Maybe my thinking isn't correct, but thats what I thought.

He doesnt list what his combo is, so why assume its a stocker? My guess is he knows what his combo needs for a gear and wants to know what its going to be like on the street!

You're not going to get a lot of responses from people who use 4.56 gears on the street. There's not many people using them. That being said, I can give you firsthand information concerning 4.30's. I have them and they keep the engine right in the powerband and I can move away from anyone at anytime, whether I'm in 1st gear or 5th (on the highway of course.) Speaking of highway driving, I ALWAYS stay in the left lane and cruise with traffic. Whether it's moving at 60 mph or 80 mph, I have no problems holding my own. The tachometer reads at 3,000 rpms while I'm doing 80 mph. That's not bad at all in my opinion because I make power on the dyno all the way up to 6,400 rpms. While I don't my Cobra daily, I could if I wanted to (during the warm, sunny weather, it's driven daily in some capacity.)

I agree with 25th Mustang. Gear it for what you want the car to do. Try a calculator to find out if those gears will be right for your combination. If you gearing it for the track, find out what the peak hp/rpm range will be and gear it as close as possible.

5spd GT said:
4.30's or more is ridiculous on a real street car, aka...daily driver. I have drove one...find in town, but annoying once you get past 60mph.

I dispute that statement. I can drive mine everyday without a problem whether it's to the store or to Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire or any other state. Since I finished building it in April of 2004, I've taken it to New Hampshire 8 times and that's a 3 hour ride each way. I've also taken it to Conncecticut 6 times and that's also a 2-3 hour ride each way (depending on where I'm going). I won't even count the times I've driven it to Rhode Island, Central Mass or the Boston area (all of which are 1 hour from my house.) I even drive it to New England Dragway (2.5 hour ride each way), beat the hell out of it and drive it home.

I dont see how people can dispute what is considered acceptable or not. Everyone has their own personal idea of what is a decent RPM range to cruise in, and for me, if my car runs better with a 4.56 gear, thats what it is getting!

For a daily driver i wouldn't go with anthing higher than 4.10's. Especially if you like to get some speed going, the car will just run out of gear. I run trough the traps at 4th gear, but she's screaming. Shifting to 5th just isn't worth it, you'll be doing too much shifting, in my opinion. I never drove a car with 4.30's but i can only imagine.....1st gear must be worse than a creeper gear.

Hickfied said:
Hissing, what o.d. gear do you have, and how tall is your tire? The reason I ask is, I have some 4.30's waiting to go in on my car, with a DOT 28" slick. Just wondering what your combo is for your 60-80mph RPM.

I'm not too sure of the overdrive gear but it's a Tremec 3550 that I use. My brother uses a T-5 with the same rear gears and his is right around 3K at 80 mph too. We both run 26" tall tires.

Hissing Cobra said:
I dispute that statement. I can drive mine everyday without a problem whether it's to the store or to Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire or any other state. Since I finished building it in April of 2004, I've taken it to New Hampshire 8 times and that's a 3 hour ride each way. I've also taken it to Conncecticut 6 times and that's also a 2-3 hour ride each way (depending on where I'm going). I won't even count the times I've driven it to Rhode Island, Central Mass or the Boston area (all of which are 1 hour from my house.) I even drive it to New England Dragway (2.5 hour ride each way), beat the hell out of it and drive it home.

Yeah, from time to time, the gears would be fine by me.

I hit the highway for long distances, more than "time to time"...

4.30s on my daily driven lx 62 miles each way to work. Over 700miles a wk.

stock hci and I get over 250miles to a tank.

It depends on your goals with the car. My first stang was a 85GT 165/Bigs650/FTI that really picked up going from 3.73s to 4.30s. In that car, I should have moved straight to the .56s and never put in 3.73s.

Got another more aggressive hci package to compliment the gears in my 90, but my car as it sits pulls harder than my buddies stock 03 Cobra.

I do not run out of gear in the quarter (on 26 x 10.5), my car cruises from 2200 to 3200 on the highway just fine (235/50/15), and is deadly once you drop the hammer on it.

Calculate your powerband, drive in a similar geared car, then make your choice and enjoy.

5spd GT said:
NC85 - You have another car to "split" the difference. Your 4.30 geared car also has a drag style setup. Showing that comfort isn't what you are after.

Who's after comfort in a street/drag racing car? When people ask about gears, they want to go fast! They want to feel the takeoff from a standing start! They're not looking for a Lazy Boy recliner that's mounted to the floorboards. They're not looking for 25 miles to the gallon. If you're looking for those types of things, you're better off if you bought a Crown Victoria.