Who Wants To Make A Million Bucks?

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
All you gotta do, is write a simple to understand, comprehensive manual to understand how to tune in Tuner Studio.

If somebody would undertake the task of converting all of that techno crap, and turn it into lay speak, label the book "TUNER STUDIO FOR DUMMIES" and keep it that way...you'd have to start smoking cigars.

Because you'd need a way to dispose of all the extra twenties you'd have laying around........Nothing lights a Macanudo better than a rolled up 20 dollar bill.

I swear,...Why is this so freakin hard? Somebody PLEASE find me anywhere out there where the process (starting from scratch) of enabling the boost control mod, picking which setting to use, (and understanding why you did) i.e. closed loop, or open loop...then setting up the boost control duty table (open loop) or the boost control target table (closed loop) respective of that choice.

This is why people shy away from using this system,....You have to have an advanced understanding of electronics, computers, techno-speak,...and be willing to risk turning several thousand dollars into a smoldering pile of ash if you don't.

I built this thing from a bunch of baggies with doo-dads in them...I soldered every little jinky doo into every little ding dang deal that the online manual told me to do. When it came time to start the damn thing,..the car almost started on the first crank....

But,...can I tell you why it did?......Hell no. I just must be one of the lucky ones.

But after you build it,...NOW you gotta get the car running,....NOW you have to know how to "tune" it,... And therein lies the problem...

If there was just a book,....written in the same style of all of the rest of the "For Dummies" books out there that doesn't talk techno jargon, and doesn't ASSUME that you know what you're doing,....then maybe.......Just maybe DIY Auto Tune would be the first choice in 10, instead of the 7th or 8th when picking an aftermarket ECU conversion.

Who wants a million dollars?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Mike do you need a explanation of the settings I can do that in easy terms if you like. I could use an editor for my dummies guide
This is what I was able to find,..(guess I just need to squawk enough)
5.6 Boost Control
The most basic boost setup uses spring pressure only and connects the manifold (or turbo outlet) directly to the wastegate actuator. For systems that require more control, the Megasquirt software offers options for electronic boost control.

There are two algorithms for controlling boost:

• Open-Loop - Solenoid duty comes from an 8x8 duty table (TPSxRPM).

• Closed-loop - A Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) loop controls solenoid duty to match the actual boost to the boost target. An 8x8 target table (TPSxRPM) is used to determine the boost target.
In addition to the algorithm selection, you must configure overboost and several other settings in order to use the boost control feature.

5.6.1 Solenoid connection
The wiring of your solenoid is covered in the Hardware Guide for your product.

Solenoid and wastegate plumbing are common across the range. There are many different plumbing schemes available, just one is presented here. If the wiring to the solenoid breaks, it should fail safe and run the engine at minimum boost (spring.)

Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.3-2015-02-02-img072.png

Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.3-2015-02-02-img073.png

What the solenoid does in different conditions:

Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.3-2015-02-02-img074.png

Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.3-2015-02-02-img075.png

Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.3-2015-02-02-img076.png

5.6.2 Open-loop Tuning Tips
With open-loop boost control, the wastegate solenoid output duty is directly set in a table looked up against TPS and RPM.

Ensure that more duty = more boost. 0% should give least boost (spring) and 100% should give maximum boost. If it does not, check your plumbing or flip the Output Polarity setting.

Try out different frequency settings and find the settings that work the best for the particular solenoid being used.

Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.3-2015-02-02-img077.png

To tune the actual boost levels, just adjust the duty table so that boost reaches the desired level at each point in the table.

5.6.3 Closed-loop Tuning Tips
This section reviews some tips for tuning closed-loop boost control. Tuning closed-loop boost control should be done in three steps:

• Tune open-loop boost control - In order to make sure that you have the proper polarity set for your valve, and to get a feel for the boost that certain duty cycles yield, it is recommended that open loop boost control is tuned first.

• Set Up Overboost Protection - The closed-loop boost control code uses the maximum boost set in Overboost Protection for some of its internal calculations. This was done purposely so that during the tuning process for boost control, if the settings are wildly incorrect, boost will still not climb any higher than the Overboost Protection allows it.

• Set the Boost Control Targets. These are the target (desired) boost level at various RPM and TPS points. Typically lower throttle positions will have lower boost targets.

• Tune Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) gains - The PID gains are the main controls for how quickly the boost will reach the target, and how close it will remain to the target through the RPM range. Steps for tuning this can be found below.
Closed-loop settings

Typically, the defaults for the following settings can be used:

• Control Interval - The default for this setting is 20 ms. This is typically a good place to start. Lower settings can be used if overshoot cannot be tuned out when tuning the PID parameters.

• Closed Duty - A closed duty of 0% is the default. This should be tuned to the value that starts to open the wastegate, but typically 0% works well.

• Open Duty - An open duty value of 100% is the default. This should be tuned to the value that fully opens the wastegate, but typically 100% works well.

• Boost Control Lower Limit - Boost pressure must be within this many kPa of the target boost before closed loop control will activate. Outside of this range the valve is held wide open (keeping the wastegate shut) for fastest spooling.
NOTE: The output polarity setting only changes the actual duty on the output. Regardless of this setting, the boost control algorithm is designed to operate on the assumption that more duty = more boost.

Tune the PID gains:

1. Set Integral and Differential Gains to 0% - To make tuning the Proportional gain easier, set the Integral and Differential gains to 0%.

2. Set Proportional gain to 100% and slowly lower - While tuning Proportional gain, higher numbers mean slower boost climb and lower final boost. For safety, start with a very high gain (100% should be sufficient). Find the RPM that typically spools quickly, and fully and quickly depress the accelerator. Note how much boost is reached. If boost overshoots the target dramatically, increase the Proportional gain. Otherwise, reduce the Proportional gain and try again. Do this until boost reaches the target with a small amount of overshoot.

3. Tune the Integral Gain - The next step after the target is reached consistently is to tune the Integral gain. Starting from the RPM used to tune the P-gain, fully depress the accelerator and watch the boost as the engine climbs through the RPM range. As the engine accelerates through the rev range, the boost will probably creep away from the target. Keep increasing the I gain until the controller adequately maintains the target with minimal oscillation. It may be necessary to increase the P gain a bit after tuning the I gain since the two gains tend to counteract each other.

4. Tune the Derivative Gain - Increase the D gain until the overshoot is minimized. Care must be taken when increasing the D gain as too much D gain can over-dampen the effects of the P and I gains
The open loop seems simple enough,..but the closed loop tuning seems daunting..If I tuned this thing open loop, I'm assuming that it'll only work WOT?
( because doesn't the ECU kick into open loop at WOT?)

The closed loop part looks like what I'd want to master,.as it looks like it'll truly modulate the thing in and around a set boost pressure,..

But all I want the thing to do is add 3 pound of boost at WOT,..and allow the WG's to make their 7 pounds at any throttle percentage below that like they do now,...i.e. I can crack the throttle to 30-40% and hold it there and the turbo will make full boost, at any RPM over 2600. If I floor it, then the engine will/should see 10 p.s.I.

The open loop table is based on tps and rpm. So wot would be 100%tps..... idle is 0%tps.....

The best idea is to start with 100%tps and Increase that row by 10% until you get the 10psi you want.
In the open loop duty cycle table O%will be spring pressure, 100% will completely bypass the wastegate and it will make whatever the turbo will allow... (maybe 40psi???!)

Call me I will walk you through it.

The open loop table is based on tps and rpm. So wot would be 100%tps..... idle is 0%tps.....

The best idea is to start with 100%tps and Increase that row by 10% until you get the 10psi you want.
In the open loop duty cycle table O%will be spring pressure,
100% will completely bypass the wastegate and it will make whatever the turbo will allow... (maybe 40psi???!)[/QUOTE].

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRPFbMRK2TT_KFckhT52jnptJvJSF5SFVR8IiVYs2PBPN4aPzf5l0dVqU.jpg

Boom!

Lol that's why you set the over-boost protection.
170kpa is around 10.5psi so that's what you set in the over-boost box along with spark cut. This way you basically hit a rev limiter before bad stuff happens.

Yes the rest of the tune is in closed loop once warmed up. When your ecu sees 160*+ you get ego feedback, but under that it's all open loop.. No feedback.

Open loop- Your just going to run on the table the duty cycle you set is what it's gonna run. (This is like a stepper idle valve)

Closed loop- you set what boost you want and the ecu uses "feedback" from the map sensor to change the duty cycle on the valve. It tries to vary the duty cycle so the boost matches what is in the table. (This is like the stock ford idle valve it opens and closes in varying amounts to hold the idle steady)