Why are the interior window side moldings so much thicker on '03 and '04s?

I noticed the moldings on the sides of the windows are a lot bulkier on my '04 Mach 1 then they were on my '02 GT. I was just wondering if there is a reason for it.

I am probably not calling these parts by their popper name. See the below picture if you are not sure what I am asking about.

attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

Redfire03GT said:
I think the cage was made thicker for increased safety reason's for 2003-2004 models if I remember correctly. Which makes the A-pillar larger.

Correct!.....Somewhat......It was Mid-03......."First appeared in mid-2003. A more pronounced, triangular pillar shape found in roughly half of the 2003 models and all 2004 mustang coupes"......

Wonder if has any effect on the rain... Every time it is raining or has rained, and i open my door to get in, like 1/2 gallon water pours in and gets on my seat... Does this happen to anyone else? That too and the window is designed just perfect so that when i crack it all the rain comes in and goes right onto my power window/mirror controls... grrr

AlcHemiE said:
Wonder if has any effect on the rain... Every time it is raining or has rained, and i open my door to get in, like 1/2 gallon water pours in and gets on my seat... Does this happen to anyone else? That too and the window is designed just perfect so that when i crack it all the rain comes in and goes right onto my power window/mirror controls... grrr

Same thing with me. When it rains i need to make sure i drive around for a few minutes to get all the water off the roof because it all liked to fall in right on top of the power windows buttons.