Why do we love fox bodies?

P51D

Mar 2, 2008
Well why do we love them? I mean in all reality we the majority of us cant say it is because they are cheap, beings how with the money that we have put into our foxes most of us could have any mustang we wanted whether it be a terminator or mach 1 or an oh so drool worth 60s mustang, let alone being able to pick up a ls1 equipped f body. And its not like Foxes are great for picking up girls, I mean be honest you get a lot more attention from guys (fellow hot rodders but guys none the less) than you do from girls when you are rumbling around in your Stang.

So what is it that attracts us to them, is it the light weight and simple sportiness of them, or that they are in a sence the last of the true bare bones muscle cars. Or the legendary status that 5.0 badge has built up on the track as well as the streets, or the second hand stories you hear while bench racing of the time someone was at the track and this little mustang coupe annihilated this wicked 11 second Chevelle. I was sitting around the other day with this question in my mind and just wanted to hear some of your reasons for loving the foxbodys.

• Sponsors (?)

the 5.0
fun factor to drive.
no traction control =]
as close to a muscle as us younger guys get to have at a young age.
ease to make fast.
the aftermarket following.
amazing looking.
they attract alot of attenion...sometimes...the bad kind!
cheap parts. ( comparded to some car. example..head cam intake vs head cam intake on a LS1 )

Well compared to lots of other cars they are pretty cheap and pretty simple to work on. Compared to building an old MOPAR a Fox is really cheap. And restoring and modding an old Mustang can easily run into the 15-20K depending on how detailed you get.

Parts for both performance and restoration are pretty easy to get.

They are the car that brought performance back to the public. Before the 5.0 came out domestic performance was pretty much dead.

For myself I grew up in the late 80's early 90s, turned 16 in 1990 and I picked up my first 5.0 when I was 20 in 1994. 5.0 Mustangs were everywhere so like lots of old guys that gravitate towards the cars of their youth I think lots of guys use a nice fast Fox to remind them of thier youth. I know that when I drive my 88 I feel like I am about 21 again and have no worries or cares.

I actually prefer the attention from other car guys instead of the girls, I am 34 and married so that might have something to do with it :D. But most car guys know what it takes to build a car and you get respect from them.

And most importantly they are fun as hell.

For most in my age group, 30-35, it has to be the fact that these cars were the hottest thing on the street that the average guy could get when we were coming up. The body lines were simple and clean. They were defintely 80's in design, with their boxy look, but that body style is a classic. The ability to mod was easy, although the aftermarket was nothing like it is today. But back then, all it took to get your blood racing was a Flowmaster exhaust. The sound is all it's own. There is nothing that sounds like it, even today. A 4.6 with the right exhaust system sounds good, but it doesn't compare to the throaty, able to light 'em up at any time, sound of the 5.0.

What is sad is the fact that these cars are almost becoming extinct in my area. I rarely see a Fox on the road. And if I do, you can garauntee that the radio is off and the window is down to hear what the thing has. LOL. If we pass one that has a stock exhaust on it, even my wife calls it weak. Haha.

Today, I was at a friends who was buffing his black '88 LX. I was just sitting there looking at the car when he was working, and I just stared at it. Looking at how simple, yet beautiful these cars are. The average guy just doesn't understand the attraction we have to these cars. They view them as old and ugly. But if they were ever able to drive one, they would fully understand.

What is sad is the fact that these cars are almost becoming extinct in my area. I rarely see a Fox on the road. And if I do, you can garauntee that the radio is off and the window is down to hear what the thing has. LOL. If we pass one that has a stock exhaust on it, even my wife calls it weak. Haha.

I couldnt agree more, I rarely ever see another on the road and when I do i am half way out my window looking and listening to it.

Cheap, fun to mod, popular car. Plus I like how you don't really see a lot of them around even though they are a popular car.

It wouldn't cut my standards now as a daily driver...but as a fun weekend project car...it doesn't get any more perfect!

tbh my number one draw was the bang for the buck, but of course there are many more things about them to love.

-no traction control
-kind of unique for a DD
-Easy to work on
-blah blah blah

I graduated from high school in 1980 and Fox Mustangs were The S*it in my young adult years. I wasn't able to afford one for almost 20 years, but I finally got the car that I wanted in 1999 and here I am with a couple of them now that I have a few dollars of discretionary income.

I love them because they are:

small
light
short wheel base
great for drag and road racing
easy to work on
relatively cheap to go fast in
respond great to bolt ons
huge junkyard parts list to go fast for cheap
302s sound awesome and take tons of abuse
huge aftermarket
easy to find parts for repairs
they're the Mustang of my generation!
etc etc

Oh and i've just gotta add.....because i almost ran down a big block tubbed Camaro at the track with 40 year old heads and an outdated cam, while still spinning 1st and 2nd :D

there just fun to drive. i dont think they look that bad either. they dont weigh a ton, 94+ all the way up through 08's feel like big ass boats to me now. and the 73ish's and stuff would felllike that too. my fox feels planted and like its all necissity. my freinds make fun of me for the ford thing all the time, i tell em who cares. my cars fun. i love it. long live fox rodding.

besides what the **** is cooler than a noisy ass 302 camming itself till its retarded, exhaust smelling like ****, and still having power lumbar, 6 speakers, and fuel injection at the end of the day.

I have always had a thing for them, my step father bought a brand new 1980 Cobra and when the new 1982 Mustang GT came out he traded it in and bought one of those. when he brought it home I was hooked, going for rides with the t-tops of was fun as a kid. We still have that car although she needs to be redone( an ongoing project).

The other things I like even a 90's fox is pretty much a 80's mustang. unrefined, raw and basic..a blank canvas to build on much like alot of the older muscle. They have a temper, get hot, have smells, fumes,leak, moan & groan, are loud and for the most part each one becomes apart of us..the new ones just don't have that, not yet anyway.