Will Seafoam kill new spark plugs?

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Im on a roll with getting this thing running good, and I have some Seafoam laying around... I just put new plugs in though, and if its gonna foul them out then I dont want to run the Seafoam untill im ready to change them again... I would have foamed it before I changed the plugs, but I was afraid it would clean them or make them dirtier than they were, and I wanted to have a good look at the way they really were.

• Sponsors (?)

i seriously doubt it'll hurt the new spark plugs

i've never read the back of the can but i'd bet it says it's safe to use on there somewhere

also think of it this way, even if any residue gets on the plugs i doubt it'll last too long in the somewhat mild 2500* F enviroment of the combustion chamber:nice:

its not the seafoam, its the carbon that will be coming off due to the seafoam that may reattach itself to the plugs.

in the dsm world, we always do seafoam first, new plugs after. that way any harm you do to the plugs during the process doesnt matter.

thomas91169 said:
its not the seafoam, its the carbon that will be coming off due to the seafoam that may reattach itself to the plugs.

Yeah, thats what I was worried about. I would have done it pre-plug change, but I wanted to read the plugs as-is without a bunch of cleaner being run through the combustion chamber first.

I guess it depends on how much carbon buildup there is in the engine. If the car has spent almost it's whole life city driving it could leave deposits on the plugs which may eventually lead to fouling, but if there is very little carbon built up, then you should be fine.

Might just wait on it... I used copper plugs so 15-20k is the change interval... or maybe ill do it halfway through, lol. I dont do a ton of stop and go traffic, and I get on it a bit... maybe its semi clean.