Will these wheels tuck?

nugget68

Sep 26, 2005
I have tought about doing 18" wheels, but being kind of on a budget i think that a 17" will be a better choice for me since most 18" wheels in the Bullet style are 9" wide. My question is will a wheel that is 17x8 with 4.5 back spacing tuck in the fenders, or do i need more backspacing. I want to run my car pretty low and I plan on running 255/40 on the reap and 245/40 up front. These wheels are the ones i was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17x8...emQQcategoryZ43957QQihZ012QQitemZ220002502900
So what do you guys think...

• Sponsors (?)

On a '68, you have a good shot, but I would get 4.75" bs. You can run that bs up front because a 17" wheel rim will fit over the upper ball joint. Doesn't work with 16" wheels. It will also give you a little more fender clearance at the rear. If 4.75" is a custom bs and costs extra, I'd still do it to avoid tire rub. If you don't get more responses, ask this in a new thread and ask (in the title) for '68 owners to read the thread. My experience is 65-66, but I think I'm right about this.

I have to measure what is on my 68 right now but you also have to watch for interference between the arm and the wheel. My car has 17x8's on it now and they hit the arms. I do not remember the BS right off the top of my head though.

I'm using 17x8 late model Ford mach 1 wheels with a 5.72 in b.s., a half inch spacer and wilwood aluminum hub on the front. If I didn't use the spacer, the rim would foul against the upper control arm at the ball joint. Although my upper arms aren't stock, I'm pretty sure they would hit any upper arm if you're using the stock height spindle.

69's have more room tho.

4.5" BS will probably be fine. However, if 4.75" is an option I'd go for it. Too much backspacing and all you need is a spacer... too little backspacing and you have to buy new wheels.

I'm running a silver set of them on my '68 and they fit well. I did have to roll the fender lips front and back. I'm running 245/45/17's all around...

68Restoman

519500_79_full.jpg

thanks guys, i know that they say they are made for early stangs, but with all that i have read, i was pretty sure that 4.75 backspacing was needed to get a good "tuck"...

The less the backspace, the more the "tuck."

No way does this rim have a 4.5" backspace:

View attachment 457782

That's a late model rim and it will require a fairly expensive set of spacers to fit a classic.Just think about it. The seller also says it's got a "0 mm" offset. Offset plus backspace equal rim width. And we know the rim width is 8.00".

Anyway, to answer your original question, I have 17 x 8's with a 5.0" backspace and 235/45-17 tires on a '65. This is in a lowered car with a 1" Shelby drop. The fronts required a 7/32" spacer to clear the upper ball joint bump, but I also could have clearanced it with some grinding on the bump. I also had to trim a bit of pinch weld on the passenger side, so the spacer was not a bad idea. It's always better to go with too much BS than too little, because spacers will cure any excess, while only a fender roll is able to cure too little. And sometimes that's not enough, because the fender roll only adds about 1/4-3/8" clearance.

180 Out said:
The less the backspace, the more the "tuck.".

It's the other way around

180 Out said:
No way does this rim have a 4.5" backspace:

I have them and they measure 4.5" as described, they do it by extending the mounting flange inward and making the holes deeper.

180 Out said:
That's a late model rim and it will require a fairly expensive set of spacers to fit a classic.Just think about it. The seller also says it's got a "0 mm" offset. Offset plus backspace equal rim width. And we know the rim width is 8.00".

I have them and am using no spacers. The 0mm offset is from center and the 8" is from bead to bead so from the back of the rim to the mounting surface is 4.5"

68Restoman

519500_63_full.jpg

The less the backspace, the more the "tuck."
It's the other way around
You're right. I got my wires crossed. It happens a lot when you're -- what? -- 180 out.
No way does this rim have a 4.5" backspace
I have them and they measure 4.5" as described, they do it by extending the mounting flange inward and making the holes deeper.
What a great idea. The first kids on the block to run the late model "Bullitt" rims were paying as much as $200 for machined spacers. Of course they also had to change the bolt pattern too.
The 0mm offset is from center and the 8" is from bead to bead so from the back of the rim to the mounting surface is 4.5"
OK, now that is a misuse of the term "offset," at least as it used to be known. I Googled it, though, and you're right on this one too. This Yokohama website explains what offset is: http://www.yokohamatire.com/utcustom.asp Still, as I recall it way back when, offset was width minus backspace. But Yokohama says offset refers to the relationship between the mounting flange and the center line of the rim.

I'm not even going to ask, how an 8" rim with zero offset -- meaning there's 4" of rim on either side of the mounting flange -- can have a backspace of 4.5". I'm just going to retire from the rim-sizing biz while I'm behind.

Isn't "Tucks" a hemeroid medicine?

68rustang said:
Nope, more BS, more "tuck."

"Tuck" is one of those words that is trying to come over from the ricer crowd :nonono: People should be kicked in the teeth for using it.

Leave it to the ricer crowd to be a PITA :D

In answer to 180 out on how an 8" rim with zero offset has a 4.5" back space:

The total width of an 8" rim, outside edge to outside edge is 9". If you look at how we measure backspace it is from the edge of the wheel to the monting flange. So as an 8" wheel measures 9" half of 9 is 4.5.
The 8" refers to how far apart the outside edge of the tire bead will be spread.
A 10" wheel would measure 11" total width, and the tire bead would be spread 10" apart when mounted.

HTH,

Scott