window tint- california laws

Bill9000

Oct 15, 2004
Hey All! I just tinted the windows on my mustang, (illegal even where I live, as dark as I went) but it looks good, and the cops here are pretty relaxed...

my question is as follows:

Someone was trying to tell me, that if I go to California with my car (where they are SUPER-strict about pretty much any kind of mod, especially dark windows) that I can be arrested. I think this is complete :bs: I believe that since I am licensed in a different state, they can MAYBE at best give me a "fix-it" ticket, which wouldnt even stick cause I am not licensed in their state.

has anyone else heard of anything like this? I don't believe they can arbitrarily arrest someone not even committing a "crime"

B

• Sponsors (?)

ONZZ said:
If you have ilegal tint on your windows and your driving past or by a cop, just roll the Damn window down.

true, but I was more wondering about their ability to arrest based on something that's not a "crime" I don't see how it's possible, I definitely would roll my windows down if possible, but not always possible if you don't see the cop!

Well, I live in Hawaii and have 5% tint over 35% tint. and never roll down the window even next to a cop at the stop light. Friends truck has Double 5%, front back and side windows and has never been busted for his tent, he got pulled over many times too. And never heard of anyone getting arrested for it too.

Bill9000 said:
true, but I was more wondering about their ability to arrest based on something that's not a "crime" I don't see how it's possible, I definitely would roll my windows down if possible, but not always possible if you don't see the cop!

i got a $140 ticket for having 10%...he pulled me over for it and told me he couldn't even see inside the car as he drove past me. i'm pretty sure they can arrest you for anything if they feel like it.

Cops have a lot of things to worry about other than your windows. I have been stopped one time, I told the cop that I get migraines from bright lights and that sunglasses just were not enough, he let me pass without any problems. If a cop is having a bad day and you piss him off I can imagine him writing you a ticket for them but jail time for windows tints, I dont think so. Just be smart about it dont pull up on the side of cops, and if you have to then roll the windows down.

I was selling my old car (98 saturn) a few months ago and a cop came to look at it. It had 35% in the front and he was like "oh you have your windows tinted, well they look legal." A lot of cops (at least in michigan), dont even know there is a law against it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in California you can't have the driver and passenger windows tinted at all. All of the other windows can't be below 20%. On my Mustang I got the driver and passenger windows at 23% and all the other's at 5%. I haven't got pulled over (knock on wood). I would only be worried at the end of the month and on holidays when there are a lot of cops just wanting to give tickets. Also, I think its only a fix it ticket if you get caught.

ya its illegal to have any tint on the front and side windows(front sides if its a 4 door). it used to be a fixit ticket where you had to peel it off for the police. now they just make you pay a fine, something like $250, and you can keep it. you can also get a doctors note, like an eye doctor, for medical reasons. i have had friends busted for it. one had the police walk up with guns drawn cause the windows were soo dark. its a big police safety thing.

GoneMad96 said:
they wont put u in cuffs bro i have 35% on mine but got a nice 500.00$$$$ in la for it!

Holy crap! I mean, damn you have nice weather but it sounds like the cops are a buncha nazis out there....ill stick with my michigan snow and easy going cops for the time being.

It depends on where you live, I am in Nor Cal, cops here are cool. you cant get arrested in CA for your tint, in CA you can only have your back three windows tinted, but smokey has told me if I cant see thru your windows when I go by I will pull you over again... oh and $75.00 bucks in fines,

The link above says...

“Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in”.

Keep in mind that is close to the factory tint level on most cars too..

Cops can tell, my buddy had his very dark, looked cool on a black truck, but didn't look cool for long.. :)

I tinted the back three, no need to bring any more attention to my car then necessary.

On most any car, the fronts are tinted to between 70 and 80% light penetration. Just roll your window down a little and look through and over. Fairly obvious. CA could care less about the back three windows - all of my cars are limo-tinted, and no hassles at all. Not a lot of cops will pull you over for it, but they will make it an issue when they pull you over - look at what we all drive and ask how much that happens.

Do yourself a favor, don't bother with the front two. Either that or invest in a tint-removal kit when you get them tinted. Otherwise, add $50 to your tint job for the removal costs.