Would Love Help On Paint Ideas/suggestions

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Car was original Laser Red E9. Time for a paint job since most of it has to be blended in after accident/repair. I always heard about how the E9 3 stage color could be mixed and come out different as over the years I have seen some darker and some lighter, some more burgundy maroon looking and others more orangy pinkish looking. I'm looking for not burngundy looking and not orangy looking but want it shining for sure. A nice red color, not bright red. I have been looking at the 2013 color , Red Candy metallic but love the Liz stick Red option for the 2015 Saleens. I called Saleen and was told that color is under lock and key lol and that someone paid $25000 for the Saleen GTX to be painted that color. Just wanting to see some ideas from you guys and maybe some things you have tried, saw, liked. Pics welcomed
smile.gif

Mine is a 95

not too familiar with pearls and metallic but I want it to stand out really. I guess I need to see pics

• Sponsors (?)

Go to house of Kolor website. Or maybe DuPont/ppg paints(not sure if there is a site for them though). Best way IMO is to go to a paint and body shop. They will have paint strips/books you could look through. There are literally hundreds of tints/brands to choose from.

Go to house of Kolor website. Or maybe DuPont/ppg paints(not sure if there is a site for them though). Best way IMO is to go to a paint and body shop. They will have paint strips/books you could look through. There are literally hundreds of tints/brands to choose from.

The guy who is going to paint the car, he gave me a house of color's book to look through but said mostly the kandy colors are more for folks whose cars are more show stuff, not everyday drivers, stay in garage, not meant to be out in the weather for extended periods and he can't warranty house of kolor for that reason. Mine is pretty much a sometime drive on weekends so it might be in that category anyway.
I will look through the book and see if anything strikes my eye moreso differently than the RZ Red Candy metallic of ford and see what we can come up with

Reactions: 1 user
For factory metallic reds you might also want to look at Redfire or Ruby Red (current color). It might just be me but the Red Candy color looks a little too pink to me.
Actually at the Ford Dealer on monday, a ruby red stang drove thru and I followed the guy about 1/4 mile or maybe less throught the crowded area of the dealer, body shop and didn't get to catch up and speak with him but found out it was a ruby red. Saw a few others that day also but it's just too deep of a burgundy look to me. I believe the Redfire is too much of a firetruck bright red.

I've been concerned , looking at even my E9 , it sometimes in some lights look orangy, or it's probably on my phone's pics rather, which I'm sure isn't a proper way to judge lol. But it looks different from the sun to gloomy days for sure. Wish I could find a color that would stay that consistent red all the time

Last edited:
G2 Redfire, Thats what I chose looks awesome. Keep in mind it took 8 coats by custom paint shop to cover the old Scarlet red properly...

They sprayed redfire, ruby red metallic and couple of others on large swatches so I could pick what I liked..

Its not bright fire truck red at all, its a deep medium to dark done properly.

Link to all car colors and years PPG Paint Chips 2014 Ford Mustang

The issue is pictures dont show color properly and everyone sees color differently, go to a few shows and see what you like.

G2 Redfire, Thats what I chose looks awesome. Keep in mind it took 8 coats by custom paint shop to cover the old Scarlet red properly...

They sprayed redfire, ruby red metallic and couple of others on large swatches so I could pick what I liked..

Its not bright fire truck red at all, its a deep medium to dark done properly.

Link to all car colors and years PPG Paint Chips 2014 Ford Mustang

The issue is pictures dont show color properly and everyone sees color differently, go to a few shows and see what you like.
cool will check out

As far as not meant to be out in everyday weather? Especially the sun?
The biggest reason is that once you mix the colors it's hard to replicate. So it's hard to "fix" a rock chip etc. The color is usually a one off mix(as explained to me by a paint and body guy). So even though you have the same formula each time it's mixed it comes out slightly different. As far as weather/sun damage that makes sense for the same reason to me. I'm not a paint expert at all. I just have talked to a couple in the past. My cousin had his 70 nova painted house of Kolor-candy brandy wine years ago and this was the painters explanation. He did a great job and it was beautiful. Took 3rd place at the Chicago Vette fest back in the early 90's(big national show). I think candy's are great looking but don't hold up well over time if driven routinely. So I understand/trust your painters logic/ experience

The biggest reason is that once you mix the colors it's hard to replicate. So it's hard to "fix" a rock chip etc. The color is usually a one off mix(as explained to me by a paint and body guy). So even though you have the same formula each time it's mixed it comes out slightly different. As far as weather/sun damage that makes sense for the same reason to me. I'm not a paint expert at all. I just have talked to a couple in the past. My cousin had his 70 nova painted house of Kolor-candy brandy wine years ago and this was the painters explanation. He did a great job and it was beautiful. Took 3rd place at the Chicago Vette fest back in the early 90's(big national show). I think candy's are great looking but don't hold up well over time if driven routinely. So I understand/trust your painters logic/ experience
sorry just getting back guys we are working an outage. Yeah I definitely don't want to go that route as far as worrrying about babying things. I mean an advantage I would have would be the car is a weekend driver sometimes as I have 3 vehicles ( the stang and Tacoma drive on weekends). But if chips occur or anything else, then I'd be pissed about being mismatched lol. I actually saw a thread on another forum on google and I like what I saw from a fresh new E9 paint job. This guy's car looked real good. It was a pic in the sunlight and one in no sun and I might just go back with that, or the RZ Red Candy Metallic after I see one again at the lot during the sun.

Also, I'm going to get another decklid and let get the S351 spoiler as well. I ordered the S281 after having the SR Race double stack wing since 01. I will just swap out sometimes and sell the other wings I have. From 95-01 I had another wing with a light in it ( non stocker).
Saleen just like mine.jpg
saleen just like mine 2.jpg

sorry just getting back guys we are working an outage. Yeah I definitely don't want to go that route as far as worrrying about babying things. I mean an advantage I would have would be the car is a weekend driver sometimes as I have 3 vehicles ( the stang and Tacoma drive on weekends). But if chips occur or anything else, then I'd be ****ed about being mismatched lol. I actually saw a thread on another forum on google and I like what I saw from a fresh new E9 paint job. This guy's car looked real good. It was a pic in the sunlight and one in no sun and I might just go back with that, or the RZ Red Candy Metallic after I see one again at the lot during the sun.

Also, I'm going to get another decklid and let get the S351 spoiler as well. I ordered the S281 after having the SR Race double stack wing since 01. I will just swap out sometimes and sell the other wings I have. From 95-01 I had another wing with a light in it ( non stocker).
Saleen just like mine.jpg
saleen just like mine 2.jpg
:drool: Color looks awesome. I like it a lot

:drool: Color looks awesome. I like it a lot
Thanks man. Not mine but mine looks similar. I remember when mine had a nice fresh paint job back in 05. Still wasn't bad to this day but developed over the years some spots and now that it got hit in the back in Aug I'm getting a new kit and paint it over, change the spoiler, and few other things. Gonna re do the seats and all too. By the way, do you or does anyone know someone that's selling an S 351 spoiler?