wrecked the stang

billfisher

Jul 17, 2005
huntsville, AL
drag radials in the rain will wreck you eventually.

i was traveling from an off ramp to the interstate at <50 mph when it snapped right.

i looped it on purpose and a crappy thing happened... the freakin ABS kicked in and let it roll off of the road. without ABS it stays in my lane and i simply let it roll when it comes around. i've done it more than once. but with ABS it rolls when it can. so i glanced it off of the guard rail. minor damage, but witout ABS there would have been no damage. this sucks. pushed the fender in 2" x 12" behind the wheel well, and scuffed the bumper cover in a few places. $1100.00 in damages. i only like abs in winter. it can wreck you in other conditions.

• Sponsors (?)

Sucks man... At least it was only minor damage and no one got hurt. I have had very similar experiance in the snow with the abs, might as well not have any brakes...

At least you as o.k. though.
Sorry to hear you wreaked your stang that sucks
man I know how you feel.
Good luck with the repairs and hopefully your car turns
out as good as new again.

trinity_gt said:
"i only like abs in winter. it can wreck you in other conditions."

In this case, DRs in the rain are what wrecked you, not ABS.

Sucks dude. Sorry to hear it.

Didnt he JUST say that?

This is the reasons I didnt go with a more drag radial oriented tire when I purchased a new set. They arent DR's, but I wanted the BFG KD's but I went with the KDW's because I knew I would have to drive in the rain. I've had some problems in the rain with the KDW's even I couldnt imagine DR's...

Im not sure I understand how ABS caused your particular crash, ABS wont cause you to lock up the wheels and will not greatly reduce your stopping distance at all, and in the rain will help reduce it.

But either way, sucks your car is hurt. She will be fixed and as good as new. Be careful.

04DarkShadowGT said:
Im not sure I understand how ABS caused your particular crash, ABS wont cause you to lock up the wheels and will not greatly reduce your stopping distance at all, and in the rain will help reduce it.

when a car rotates past the point where counter steering will save it you need you:

A) lock the tires until the car approaches straight with the front wheels still in the full opposite lock, and allow the tires to turn and steer out of it. simplle with practice.

B) do a Tony Stewart... and spin the tires hard for braking when the car is backwards.

i don't have the skill to do a Tony Stewart, but i can 360 the car and save it at lower speeds.

when the ABS allowed the front and rear tires to rotate backwards in ABS mode, the car rolled across the lane and into the rail.

if the rotational speed/rate is low enough and you have no side to side speed, locking them also keeps youin your current lane, but you end up pointing mostly the way you came.

ABS prevented me from saving the car the only way i know how. spinning the tires would only have hydroplaned them more.

shorter braking distance was not the goal. -bill

^ Makes sence.....you were going at a low enough speed to where the momentum didnt let the front end loose grip and spin back frontwards. And thats partly due to the ABS preventing you from locking the tires and when you kept the wheel burried to the right (expecting it to spin you completely around in the same lane) it just cought traction and backed you up right into the gaurdrail on the other side of the road....correct?

right.

i drive in such a fashion that things like this happen. it helps to expect the car to react a certainway. i don't have a problem modulating brakes at the limit. hitting the brakes should have sped up the rotation.

i'm going to look into deleting ABS.

while it sucks that it happened, it is good that you are okay and the damage isn't too bad. This goes to show you that the latest technology isn't always the best thing for your car. We're all made to believe that a car without ABS is a death trap, it's just ironic that ABS is the reason why you're in your current situation. Good luck man.