WTH I'm really getting tired of this...

Whats the deal with AFR's rocker studs???? Two more broke on me yesterday, thats a total of 8 rocker studs..... I am now replacing all of them with some that AFR "sold" me, they are ARP's, but what the hell am I paying for them for? AFR said they had a bad batch back when, and that I may have gotten them by accident, but they wouldnt replace them for free??? This is bunk. So now I have had to purchase all new studs, all new pushrods, and 3 rockers, because of there mistake? I'm over this crap, and the expense is getting to me.

Anybody else have this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

What happenin man, I called and spoke with a rep from AFR about 6 months ago when my first one broke, he stated that there was a run of sub standard studs, he then said I need to order the new ones. I asked if AFR was replacing them free of charge and he said yes. Cool I thought, then he asked for my name so he could look me up in the customer data base. I told him I did not buy them direct, and that I bought them new from a friend who didnt use them on his car. I was then told they would not honor the replacement, fine, I had my friend who bought them call, and they told him they would not honor the replacement since he sold them to me. I kind of see their point, however they know that there was a problem, and I bought some of the new studs anyway. So I dont see what the problem is; on top of that the heads were sent to them for the upgrade in the first place.

I'll post some pics as soon as I take them out.
The pushrods are correct, they were checked with a checker, my spring pressures are no where near your pressures, and theyre 7/16's studs.

Poka, I feel for ya man. But my car runs absolutly perfect, Idles rock steady. And then a damn stud breaks, it's an easy fix, and I have extra parts, but it's a pain in the rear. This will be a thing of the past tonight when I just replace all of them.

I have never seen broken rocker studs before...:shrug:

What size are the studs?

Are the pushrods the correct size?

I run some crazy spring pressures and have never seen anything like that...

Well heres the verdict, 2 more studs broke, and 2 were almost gone. All studs are now changed, valves were checked for bends (none were thank god), 2 pushrods were bent (on the broken studs only), and my cobra valve covers now have some dents from the pushrods thumping them. I pulled the heads, cleaned them up (found that there was no switcharoo) and slapped everything back together (which was REALLY STUPID ON MY PART) since I have my shiny new systemax upper and lower sitting in my garage just waiting to go on....

So anyway the car runs mint again, for some reason it has gained the power it had so recently lost. It is going back under the knife on friday, the intake is being swapped, and i'm installing all of my guages, and putting the nitros back on.

Now for a question for everyone, I am installing the nitros, as well as a purge valve, what are the pros and cons of routing the purge to spray through the radiator, or possibly right on top of the intake manifold? I'm just brainstorming for cooling effect (i'm sure it's only a couple degrees and more than likely not worth a darn). The reason I ask this question is I have seen more than once people using nitros to cool intercoolers, and intaked while sitting at a track. I apologize if anyone finds this really stupid, as it is just an idea at this point. I thought about posting this one other time, and thought about it myself, and even I was telling myself "man thats about the dumbest idea I have heard of" But it does kind of make sense???

Hey Tony,

Routing the purge on the radiator or intake would work to cool it per se, however, the amount of nirtous and length of time rquired to actually cool it any noticeable amount would be cost prohibitive. You'd be better of using a co2 system or methanol system. The intercooler spray bars the nitrouscompanies make are. IIRC. made to be spraying the entire time down the track...thats alot of wasted nitrous.

Give me a call if you want some help, I've put on quite a few nitrous kits in my day.

I may hit you up on that one, I wont cheap out on the beer (I like Newcastle or HEFE) and pizza or BBQ either!!!
Those are basically the same conclusions I had, just trying to use the excess spent gas for something.

Hey Tony,

Routing the purge on the radiator or intake would work to cool it per se, however, the amount of nirtous and length of time rquired to actually cool it any noticeable amount would be cost prohibitive. You'd be better of using a co2 system or methanol system. The intercooler spray bars the nitrouscompanies make are. IIRC. made to be spraying the entire time down the track...thats alot of wasted nitrous.

Give me a call if you want some help, I've put on quite a few nitrous kits in my day.