03 GT vs. 98 Cobra (trade)

302 coupe

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2000
Macon, Ga.
I'm in a bit of a predicament guys...I've become bored with my GT. I was riding through the dealership here a few days ago and spotted a nice new Mach. "Trade Up" was the first thing that came to mind, but I decided I don't need to increase my monthly payments. So, I started thinking about an older Cobra, 98 in paticular, the newest of the rounder body style. What's the real difference between a new Mach and the 98 Cobra? They have practically identical drivetrains, and performance should be very similar between the two. Only real difference to me is that I could probably even trade my GT for a 98 Cobra. My GT is a 2003, dark shadow grey, all stock except for the UPR o/r X pipe(still have stocker to swap back on), 19K miles, Mach 1000, leather, all that B.S., wouldn't you think I could swap it for a clean, somewhat low miles, 98 or so Cobra? Not to mention the cobra will hold value better, I've got a feeling the 99-04's are about to plummet as far as value is concerned.

Before anyone suggests a bolt-on bonanza for the GT, I'll go ahead and say NO.

• Sponsors (?)

Well its kind of rediculous to say you're bored with your GT when you have an X-pipe, but whatever.

Theres is quite a world of difference between 96-98 Cobras and the Machs. A 98 Cobra isnt much quicker than your GT. Would you mod the Cobra? If not, its hardly worth it :shrug:

yeah, I guess I haven't done much to the GT to make it less boring. I originally bought it to have something kinda fun to drive to work, now I have a company truck to use as daily transportation so the GT sits under a cover most of the time. I take it out on the weekend to play a little, but it just isn't much fun. I bought the GT with intentions of keeping it stock for nice daily driver manners, and since its still new and stock I figured it would be a good time to get rid of it. Go ahead and cut my losses you know...Bolt-ons don't do much for resale, and in most cases don't do much for performance either. I guess I should go test drive a Cobra and see how I like it......

The Cobra would get gears and maybe a catback, but thats it. I don't see any reason why the Cobra with 4.10's wouldn't edge out a new stock mach. I'm not looking to have the fastest car around, just something that will keep my interest. Everytime I fire up my 66 it puts a little grin on my face, the GT doesn't do that. I'm hoping that a Cobra will.

War Eagle!

Well....I'm in somewhat a similiar situation, however I was choosing between a 01+ GT or a 96-98 Cobra. From what I found is that, unless your planning to really mod out the Cobra, more then just exhaust then it be worth it just because it's a DOHC, and in the long run that will be nicer then a SOHC with shorter RPM range. I thought I wanted a 96-98 Cobra, cause it being a Cobra and 305hp was a nice number for me, but comparing it to numbers and times of a 01+GT I wasn't all too gung ho about it. Then I realized that I could find a GT that would be lower in miles for about the same price, I wouldn't have to run premium fuel unless I bumped the timing so I would save alittle in gas from that, my car wouldn't be as old and probably have a warranty still, and would be cheaper to repair on certain things.

So..I would also agree, you're already bored of a car you haven't had very long, and all you've done is an X-pipe? Not even a Catback exhaust? or a better shifter? I would consider you either buck up and pay the extra for a Mach 1 (which is a good enough upgrade) or just enjoy your GT and actually put some mods to it. Mods on any car wont have any resale to it, so you can just throw that out the window. I personally had a blast driving around in a 02 GT 5speed with just a Flowmaster catback, and to know I can have close to and around 400RWHP with just a KB supercharger makes it nice to know, I can easily get more power that way. But, if you really don't want it, then it's your choice, but unless you mod the cobra, your going to be the same way later on. I'm bored with my stang because it's a V6 and auto, but it's been my high school and college car, and now it has too many miles on it, and I'm able to afford a V8 now. If you don't want your GT, I would take it off your hands....jokingly.

i plan on doing a full exhaust system on my cobra (with high flow cats and long tubes) along with 4.30 gears. most cobra guys i spoke with bang out almost 300hp to the wheels just doing a full exhaust/intake. top that off with a KB and u have yourself pretty much 400hp or more.

A new GT 5spd with almost exactly the same mods as me + a chip trapped 99mph, I trapped 106.

IMO there is a world of difference between GT's and Cobras above 4800rpm. Thats where the extra ~30-50rwhp can be felt.

im going to be trading my GT for a Mach 1 :shrug: i think you should get the Mach. It is more of a limited production, has some unique features that do not come on any other current Mustangs, and is definetly an attention getter. You dont even need to mod it out to pop the hood at a car show and get tons of people to drool over it. The Mach is fast, has the 4V engine, and the Shaker is simply amazing to look over as you cruise around. The Mach i test drove thursday felt so great and solid compared to my GT.

AZZKCKR98 said:
Dont by a mustang if you are worried about saving a little on gas.

I see you missed the point of the guys post. :nonono: I'll explain it for you, he was adding up PROS and CONS of both. Both cars make similar numbers on the track and he was just throwing in little differences to set them apart. It's not like he was saying that gas is the reason to buy a GT.

Craig Mack said:
A new GT 5spd with almost exactly the same mods as me + a chip trapped 99mph, I trapped 106.

IMO there is a world of difference between GT's and Cobras above 4800rpm. Thats where the extra ~30-50rwhp can be felt.

I doubt that 96-98 Cobras have 50rwhp over a 99+ GT. Or they wouldn't make similar numbers at the strip. Yes, everyone on here knows that the DOHC is definately faster up top which explains the mph difference but i think 50hp is a stretch. :shrug:

I love 96-98 Cobra's. :drool: I'd take one over a GT regardless of the year, any day of the week. I'm a little bias though, since I always liked the look of the pre-99 SN95's better anyway. Of course.....it wouldn't remain stock for long either. I just think the DOHC is just such a sweetheart of an engine, that the exhaust note alone is worth the trade for me. :nice:

You can play with the HP numbers all you want, but the times are almost identical for the 98 cobras, and the newer GTs. My second mustang was a white 98 cobra and I loved it. But i have to say that I was surprised to be getting walked by lightly modded GTs. So when the decision came back around to buy a new one, I knew that I couldn't buy the cobra with the blower, and I couldnt justify spending the extra cash on a mach that was only slightly quicker than the GTs, so I bought one and haven't regretted it yet. Now I am the one walking the older cobras :D

Brisk281GT said:
I doubt that 96-98 Cobras have 50rwhp over a 99+ GT. Or they wouldn't make similar numbers at the strip. Yes, everyone on here knows that the DOHC is definately faster up top which explains the mph difference but i think 50hp is a stretch. :shrug:

Well with only a few mods, they can see around 300rwhp compared to maybe around 240-250rwhp with the same mods on a 99+ GT. Like someone said, 4600+ RPM is where the difference can be felt.....unless you have gears in the Cobra, then its a completely different beast

From my knowledge I see alot of 96-98 Cobras making around 260-270RWHP with stock to minimal mods (exhaust/CAI), and I see alot of the 99+ GT's making about 230-260RWHP with stock to minimal mods. I also see stock 96-98 Cobra's running 14.0/14.1's....,I also see stock 99+ GT's running 14.2's and high 13's with some bolt ons. Friends ran a 13.9 with just Catback, X-pipe and pullies...I'm sorry, but as much as I like those Cobras, there for whatever reasons don't seem to be all that much faster. However the Mach 1 with the same engine seems much faster. But....whatever makes you happy, this is just from my experiences with wanting both cars.

And....for the record, I was just listing the pros and cons, and not having to buy the high gas prices especially for premium is a benefit, it shouldn't make your decision, but I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks here and there.

I like my 96 cobra. Stock it was pretty boring so I started adding some mods. The best mod at the time for the car was the 4.30s, it really woke it up. Back when I still had my original 96 engine with only an x-pipe, catback, underdrive pulleys, and 4.30s I tore up every n/a 99+ GT I came across. When I had a 99 cobra longblock in there for a short time it was even worst for them, it was over right after I shifted into 2nd.

um I dynod against a 99 cobra and his numbers were barely higher than mine, with him being a vert (and both of us not having raced each other yet) I would say I'd beat him in the 1/4.

If youre going Cobra for thrill 03/04 is a must, other wise Mach 1 OR use what ya got and MOD it, I've spent less then 600 on performance mods and I'm at the numbers in my sig.... its not hard and its not as expensive as the loss you would take on trading up, or worth the realization after trading down that you made a mistake.

Sounds like you need to do some more modding is all. I wouldn't do it just because you would be going from a known, non-abused newer stang to an older one that you wouldn't know the history on. Sometimes the little things can make you feel better about your car. A mach1 chin spoiler coupled with a grill delete and a good cleaning for some looks, then do a little something for some more umph, you should be good to go for a while.

myponyrocks said:
um I dynod against a 99 cobra and his numbers were barely higher than mine, with him being a vert (and both of us not having raced each other yet) I would say I'd beat him in the 1/4.

If youre going Cobra for thrill 03/04 is a must, other wise Mach 1 OR use what ya got and MOD it, I've spent less then 600 on performance mods and I'm at the numbers in my sig.... its not hard and its not as expensive as the loss you would take on trading up, or worth the realization after trading down that you made a mistake.

Pheew 151.5 RWHP and 290.5 RWTQ. :banana:
:rlaugh: Some how you spent $600 and have nearly 100RWHP less than when it was stock, guess you went for the torque gaining mods huh :shrug: J/K, just couldnt resist LOL.