04 Cobra shortblock in a blown 2v GT

TonyG

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
Owings Mills, MD
I'm considering getting an 04 Cobra shortblock for future use. Keeping it 2v, and with an S-Trim blower, what other modifications would be necessary? I've read a lot of posts and I'm getting a lot of different information. Here's some of the stuff/concerns I heard:

(1) Need new clutch/flywheel

(2) 2v heads have stem ports that need to be drilled into the block

(3) When you put on timing chain, you have to drill the block to put proper pins to hold retainers

(4) Compression ratio will raise to 10:1

(5) There's a cooling passage that needs to be drilled

(6) Timing cover is off on one of the bolt holes?

Which of these are true and which are BS?
Anything other modifications not listed here?

• Sponsors (?)

besides the compression bump....

I just asked MMR about this. I was going to send them my fresh teksid block and have them build me a short block. I had received some of the same info as you and they told me it just a direct swap?

Email MMR your questions and I would almost guarantee they would give you correct answers.

and yes you'd need a flywheel, that's the easy part

besides the compression bump....

I just asked MMR about this. I was going to send them my fresh teksid block and have them build me a short block. I had received some of the same info as you and they told me it just a direct swap?

Email MMR your questions and I would almost guarantee they would give you correct answers.

and yes you'd need a flywheel, that's the easy part

Actually he might not need a flywheel. the 99 and 00 GT's used the windsor block and the factory cranks in them are 8 bolt. the 01-04 that use the romeo blocks block only have 6 bolts.

not sure of the rest of them except the timing cover... on the windsor timing cover I know that some of the bolts used in the front cover are larger from factory than in the Romeo engines... now i have done a Windsor motor with romeo 2v heads and i noticed the only diff i had to alter was actually using a thinner bolt in the holes going into just the heads. now that was a 2v but im not sure if the block is different at all as far as bolt location movement. but some bolts just might be sized different than your factory but still in the same location.