100 miles/tank ?

So I was able to pick up my 88 just a couple days ago. Judging by how much gas I've used so far, it looks like I'm goign to get about 100 miles to the tank. Even for a 5.0 that seems a bit low. Is there any problems I should be looking for or is this about right for an '88 5.0 ?

• Sponsors (?)

I get just over 100 miles before my fuel low light comes on. That's between 9 to 10 gallons when I fill it up so I get between 10 and 11 miles per gallon on average during strictly in-town driving.

On the highway, I get between 20 and 25 MPG depending on how much I use the cruise control.

Edit: I should also note that this is on a blower car.

I don't see how you guys get that good of gas mileage unless it's a lot of highway mileage. My car doesn't see much highway time, but it's mostly stock and a tuneup a few months ago. Right now it's averaging 15ish being driven hard.

Welcome to the boards!

In reading your first post, I'd simply go fill up and actually calculate the milage. The stock gauge is too inaccurate to interpolate.

I would run codes.

Good luck.

eightyeight said:
So I was able to pick up my 88 just a couple days ago. Judging by how much gas I've used so far, it looks like I'm goign to get about 100 miles to the tank. Even for a 5.0 that seems a bit low. Is there any problems I should be looking for or is this about right for an '88 5.0 ?

I am getting about 24 mpg out of my 88 GT. I fill the tank, use most of it before I fuel up again then check my gas milage. I thing most of the time I get between 225 and 275 miles out of a tank depending on how I drive. Cool user name by the way.

bdazzgt said:
ACtually the tank is a 15 gallons i would almost bet the gauge is off. When mine is on E i can put in 9 gallons so there is six gallons of play
Hmm, mine must be off then. Both Fox bodies I've owned have only held 11-12 gallons max when the needle was on E and the gas light was on. :shrug:

On the highway i get about 225 miles out of a "tank" and at that point the gauge is at about 1/4 tank. When i go to fill it up i can only get about 9 gallons into it. Thats 25mpg....averaging about 75-80 with 3.73's. Around town is a different story i get about 14mpg. How hard are you driving it. Do u have a vac gauge!!!??? best thing i ever purchased...it really lets you know what works best for your car. And generally short shifting a 5.0 is the worst thing to get good milage! good luck

Before the rebuild and with the 2.73's, I could get up 350 miles on a tank on the highway cruising at 80. Now its more like 230 miles with 1.5 gallons remaining. The lowest MPG that I have had so far was 16 for combined city/hwy driving.

If your only getting 100 miles to a tank, your either driving really hard, highly modified, or there is something wrong.