12 Years in Storage

Kramrg

Oct 15, 2006
Hi All I'm new to this forum and have little experiance on the heavy diagnose/mech side and need some advise from the experts. I recently aquired a 1987 vert GT 5.0 that has been abandoned in a storage garage for 12 years - The car is in mint condition overall and well worth getting it back on the road - my problem is that I can not get it to crank over. The first thing I should note is that the ignition tumbler had been cracked off at some point so I'm using a screw driver rather then a key to turn it over - the tumbler is completely out - nothing but a small slot in the column.

I've sprayed some penetrating oil into the cyl - and I'm able to hand crank the motor over by hand. I've cleaned off the old plugs - removed any carbon deposits off the old plugs - (which were in good shape) cleaned the wires - got a new battery. NOw the motor wont' turn over - not getting any spark at all - light work fine - but can't get the engine to turn over.

MOst of my auto mech experiance if not alll has been limited to pre 1970 Ford Truck repair - So working on a destrested 87 with all the electronics is far far above me - Looking for some advice as to where to start or what to look at.

Thanks to everyone in advance....:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

When you say it won't turn over just what exactly do you mean? You turn the "key" and the starter won't function or the starter works but the car won't start?

In any case it could be ugly getting the car to even start. Gas evaporates and leaves a very nasty varnish deposit behind after just a couple of years. I've never seen or heard of anybody trying to start a FI car that's been sitting that long but the entire fuel system from the tank to the injectors could have issues. I just replaced my tank, pump and about 3 feet of fuel line on mine and the parts ran me around $350.

Sounds like my car. I just pulled my 1988 out of storage after a 13 year slumber. Unfortunately I did not lube the cylinders and did not use fuel stabilizer and at the first crank the starter just "clicked" despite the battery being fresh. The problem was a bad ground. Assuming your battery is fresh take a look at the grounds and the leads to and from the battery and starter, etc. Clean and re-seat these with a little dielectric grease and you should be good to go. If not, it was a good exercise towards something that should be done at some point anyway.

Sounds like my brother's car that we bought after it had been sitting untouched for 9 or 10 years. The engine was seized. I just changed the oil and sprayed penetrating oil in the cylinders then put the car in 1st gear (5 speed) and rocked the car (forward and back). Then tried to start it. It turned over after 2 or 3 tries.

pics?

i would like to see what a 12 year stored car looks like

You wouldn't want to see mine after 14 years in an unheated garage. Mice were inside but didn't nest anywhere, but there are turds piled up in various corners. No smell of urine though. There are half eaten acorns under my upper intake manifold and the damn things chewed into most of my ignition wires. The interior vinyl was moldy to boot.

All in all, nothing a little TLC wouldn't fix and I am working on it, but I want to save the pics until I have it cleaned up a bit.

Mice like plug wires because there is some mineral in them the mice are lacking.. This is what I've heard anyways, from many sources........ It does make sence, they always go for the plug wires first....

For the 6 yrs my 79 has been down, I've faught the mice.. Tearing up fresh insulation I've put in, chewing new wires. Chewed through the new headliner, the new carpet... Finally got tired of it, 7 wild cats did the trick :D I have a ranch, so thats not an option for most people LOL

On a car thats been sitting that long.. I wouldnt be in such a hurry to get the engine to start.. You need to really look at all the wiring, fuel lines and all that.. There is a good chance that once the engine starts, something could short out, you could have a big leak, and those 2 dont mix well at all... Chances are, once you check it all out, put a little TLC in it, she'll fire right now..