13-inch Cobra Brakes are done!

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Austin TX
It took a while, and hit some snags (details on the webpage), but the final result was worth the effort. I promised the write-up and here it is:

http://www.edbert.net/brakes.htm

Let me know your thoughts please.

EDIT: I sized the pictures way down but there are a bunch of them so dialup users may want to go get a cup of coffee :D

• Sponsors (?)

Gotta finish my electrical nightmare (http://www.edbert.net/painless.htm) before I can drive her anywhere....sigh. I did call it a neverending project!

I am hoping the extreme heat will end soon, it was 90+ degrees by 9:20AM when I did these brakes. I know many folks here can't get much work done on their cars during winter, but that's when it is pleasant outdoors for me...LOL.

Edbert said:
Gotta finish my electrical nightmare (http://www.edbert.net/painless.htm) before I can drive her anywhere....sigh. I did call it a neverending project!

I am hoping the extreme heat will end soon, it was 90+ degrees by 9:20AM when I did these brakes. I know many folks here can't get much work done on their cars during winter, but that's when it is pleasant outdoors for me...LOL.

JOB VERY WELL DONE!! congratulations! Hey, those bullit style rims look great on your coupe, do you have any more pictures with them ? (and possibly the fenders on? :D ) So, since I have granada spindles, how hard would it be to find the '66 mustang hubs, do you think?

and I hear you 'bout the Temps here in Texas, as I'm in San Anotnio, I can't wait for winter to roll around the corner either!! :)

stangman16 said:
JOB VERY WELL DONE!! congratulations! Hey, those bullit style rims look great on your coupe, do you have any more pictures with them ? (and possibly the fenders on? :D ) So, since I have granada spindles, how hard would it be to find the '66 mustang hubs, do you think?
It's a convertible. I think it is, either that or my roof is wrinkled...hmmm :D

There are pictures on the website, but here's one with the fenders and hood:
IMG.JPG

You can see some of the wires hanging out the front in that picture, the wiring is a beyotch for me.

Drum brake parts are much easier to find that disc parts. I got my parts from the classic-classified section right here on Stangnet. I bought the rims off an '01 owner in San Antonio who put 18s on his GT.

Attachments

• IMG.JPG
    IMG.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 139
Looks SWEET!! ...sorry I did say coupe :eek: I was too focused on the rims & brakes... makes me want to go order a painless kit for my car so I can get more progress done. I think I'm putting off the EFI conversion till I get her rewired. mind if I ask how's your wiring coming along? did you order the specific kit that was ~ $600?

stangman16 said:
Looks SWEET!! ...sorry I did say coupe :eek: i was too focused on the rims & brakes... makes me want to go order a painless kit for my car so I can get more progress done... I think I'm putting off the EFI conversion till I get her rewired... mind if I ask how's your wiring coming along? did you order the specific kit that was ~ $600?
Did you see the other link (above) for the painless kit install? I bought the "universal" kit, before there was a custom kit. Probably better off though since I've changed/added so much, the stock harness would have had to be cut up, which was the point of doing it anyway to avoid splices.

Very nice car! It looks great with the 17 inch Bullitts on it.

I like your writeup of the work you did. Great job. It's nice to see real write ups that echo my experiences working on cars (everything doesn't always go as planned, so you figure out what to do as you go along).

Makes me glad I saved my drum spindles when I did my Granada upgrade.

Do the rotors have any play on the hub?

Hi Edbert,

If they do have play, you will need to do something to eliminate that. Either with a "hubcentric" ring (machine shop can make two), or going back to a larger diameter stud that "captures" the rotor. My preference is the Hub centric ring, as the rotors will still be easy to remove.

Best of luck,

Scott

No, there's not really any "play" if you mean looseness. The rotors fit onto the studs exactly the same way they did on my 1997 Cobra when I replaced the rotors. They slid right into place without needing to be "pressed" via a machine.

NasaGT said:
Did you upgrade the master cylinder as well or are you using the stock mc? Thanks!
I haven't decided...I have a new MC and a new Booster, both are factory replacements.

What do you guys think? Should I sell the MC and booster with the unused SSBC calipers/rotors that I'm not going to use or keep those two components?

Edbert said:
What do you guys think? Should I sell the MC and booster with the unused SSBC calipers/rotors that I'm not going to use?

Sounds like a good idea to me!

I 've been gathering parts for a Mark7 rear disc setup, and I researched what MC to use before I went back to get the parts, and I found out that the Mk7 MC is a cast aluminum version of the SVO Mustang MC (these are higher capacity than the GVM 4xdisc MCs)

So I get to the junkyard, grab a few wrenches out of the truck, and pop the hood on the '87 Mk7. WTF? The MC has a plastic tank?? Not supposed to, but it does!

Then I noticed a non-ABS 85-86 Continental sitting across the aisle...whoohoo! Same car! So I pop the hood, and volia...cast aluminum 4x disc MC. The Conti had Hydroboost, but it's the same bolt pattern as a normal MC, and the MC bolts to the Hydroboost. In reading a message board, I found that it should work in a non-Hydroboost system just fine. This leads me to believe that there is such an MC that came stock on non-Hydroboost cars too.

Since you're using an AOD and you have a 67, you've got more wiggle room than my 66 with a hydraulic clutch T5. I think I'd use a '90 5.0 Mustang booster and one of the Continental cast MCs. Painted black, it looks stock at first glance. :D
HTH
--Kyle
PS: There is a pic of a cast aluminum disc MC out there somewhere, so the have to exist! (Might be on Ultrastang's site)

Thanks for the help....

So can't I just to to the local parts house and get a replacement booster for the '90 5.0-Stang and a MC for a 85-86 Conti?

I'm leery of using boneyard parts, particularly on the MC since I have all new stainless lines and plan on using Silicone fluid.

What about parts like the factory PDB "distribution block" under the MC? Would I need to use a 4Xdisc one? I have a manual valve from Wilwood I planned on using to adjust bias pressure.

Edbert said:
Thanks for the help....

So can't I just to to the local parts house and get a replacement booster for the '90 5.0-Stang and a MC for a 85-86 Conti?
Yep. If it's expensive at the parts store, try rockauto.com.

What about parts like the factory PDB "distribution block" under the MC? Would I need to use a 4Xdisc one?
Yes, I snagged one off the same Conti I got the MC from, and AFAIK, it's a junkyard-only iterm. Also, IIRC, you need both a prop valve and a dist. block?
HTH
--Kyle
PS: I agree with 66Hertz, I'd rethink DOT5, as DOT5 can and does absorb water, whereas DOT4 and the like don't.