140mph gauge cluster install/circuit repair

• Sponsors (?)

No, the speedometer is a complete unit and should come out in one piece. The tach is one piece, and the gauges come out in pairs. You will need to remove the 2 nuts on the back to remove the voltage/temp gauge assembly. If I recall, the rest of the gauges are just held in by the lense screws. Once you have all the screws and the 2 nuts removed, gently pull the gauges out to free their contact pins from the back of the housing. You will see that the whole cluster is rather simple, so just put it back together in reverse order.

okay the job is done and was very simple, not my first time taking the thing apart so i wasn't a stranger just the gauges just pop in and out....anyways, i now have a nie 140mph and all gauges working so now i'm happy. and i can sell my 85mph gauge for something/parts.....

Not trying to steal this thread or anything but I have an 89 LX the warning lights for the oil, gas, and water do not work and from my understanding the LX's do not come with this equipt. Is there anyway to make them functional?

Not trying to steal this thread or anything but I have an 89 LX the warning lights for the oil, gas, and water do not work and from my understanding the LX's do not come with this equipt. Is there anyway to make them functional?

Do you mean the low oil light, the low coolant light, and some kind of low fuel light? I don't think there is a low fuel light at all, I could be wrong. It doesn't show on the schematic. The other two things should be functional. Check the fuses and wiring to those items and post back what you find.

Do you mean the low oil light, the low coolant light, and some kind of low fuel light? I don't think there is a low fuel light at all, I could be wrong. It doesn't show on the schematic. The other two things should be functional. Check the fuses and wiring to those items and post back what you find.

Yeah I have checked the wiring and the fuses and im good? And from what I see on my buddies GT and my previous gt it does have a low fuel warning. I took my speedo out not to long ago and I saw I had the bulbs in there and you can see on the panel that you remove to get to the cluster the low oil, low coolant, and low fuel it just doesnt light up? As soon as you turn the key to the run position they should light up correct?

I did a little research and found that the 87-89 GT's had this low fluid monitor that you are talking about, I never had a GT so I wasn't aware of this. Learn something new everyday! Anyways, I found this link to a schematic

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustang89fuelSender.gif

It makes a reference to a low fluid module, and I found on Ebay a low fluid relay, so it could be that there is somekind of control box for this. I am going to keep checking this out for s and giggles and let you know if I find anything else out.

Correct, but only the 87-89 GT's have this.

If you want to add it to your LX, there is a small module and wiring harness you need to get off a junked GT cluster. It attaches to your LX cluster so no need to use the entire cluster.

Right off teh bat, the only thing that will work is the CHECK OIL light.

If you want the LOW COOLANT light to work, you'll need to install the coolant sensor in the bottole

If you want the LOW WASHER FLUID to work, you'll need to install an 87-89 GT washer bottle that has the sensor in it.

ANd low fuel...well i don't know how to make that work. I've run my tank fairly low before and it's never come on. I'm afraid to go too low but i don't know if i'm on E since i installed aftermarker gauge faces and moved my needles.

EDIT: Here's a pic of my cluster with the module and a spare module i picked up at the bone yard

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00401a.jpg
    DSC00401a.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,326
  • DSC00035.JPG
    DSC00035.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 503
Yeah my cluster already has the small module and wiring harness but I dont get anything upon fire. Strange on why Ford would only have the GT models with them oh well I was hoping for the low fuel light to come on incase I forget to reset my trip. Thanks fellas.

dsc00205b.jpg

What are the posts toward the upper right in this image? You can see one of them in your other pic, too.

I have a 93 LX, which had some probs with the gauges. So, I bought a 91 cluster off ebay, and installed it. Gauges all work great.

However, there are those two posts on the pink 1991 GT cluster. On the PCB, one says GND and one says IGN. My old and busted 1993 cluster does not have those.

I seem to have battery drain now, and would like to know more before I take the dash apart again. Are you guys hooking anything to those posts??!!!

:flag:

TIA,

Jake

Thanks, but all the gauges work fine.

My question is more along the lines of:

Has anyone ever done anything with these posts at all? And, if so, what?

Since my 93 cluster didn't have them at all, I took a pic of the 91 cluster, ignored them and installed it.

Now that I have battery drain, I'm wondering if I needed to do something with those, or if it is something else unrelated.

I found a 140 mph cluster on ebay that says it'll fit 87-93 for $100. I have an 87 LX. Is that a good price or could I find one in a junkyard or something for less?? Because I just started looking into the gauge cluster stuff....so I need any help and suggestions!

Well, the clusters don't fit 87-93 universally. There are two year breakdowns. 87-89 and 90-93

eBay seller has misdescibed the item if he states 87-93

For your 87, you need to find a 87-89 version which is quite rare and expensive. For $100, that is prob a a 90-93 version

It can be modified to work...and by that I mean residing your dash wiring harness.

Well, the clusters don't fit 87-93 universally. There are two year breakdowns. 87-89 and 90-93

eBay seller has misdescibed the item if he states 87-93

For your 87, you need to find a 87-89 version which is quite rare and expensive. For $100, that is prob a a 90-93 version

It can be modified to work...and by that I mean residing your dash wiring harness.

That's what I figured from the research I have done...I don't really want to modify if possible.
What's the next best option as far as simplicity for a 140 mph speedometer? I'd like to keep the cluster with the stock black look.

Unfortunately, there is no easy option other than buying the correct cluster.

When i did mine, i got a 90-93 cluster, and swapped the speedo into my 1988 cluster. Then it was simply a matter of either carefully swapping the black gauge face over, or installing aftermarket faces. I chose the latter

Swapping the 90-93 speedo ino the 87-89 cluster is easy, and the mileage can be matched rather easily as well

that's good to know, but I've seen a few pictures of white face gauges installed and I'm not sure it'd look good in my almost all black interior...might stand out to much! HA
Thanks for answering my questions, I'm just trying to do things right the first time!

that's good to know, but I've seen a few pictures of white face gauges installed and I'm not sure it'd look good in my almost all black interior...might stand out to much! HA
Thanks for answering my questions, I'm just trying to do things right the first time!

I have white face in my car.....every things black

YouTube - ‪1988 Mustang LX 5.0‬‏

Well that actually doesn't look too bad! so to convert to 140 I can get the white face overlays and then what else? My speedometer is off already because I put a 20 tooth gear in the transmission because it didn't have one at all when I got the car. It reads about 10 mph under what I'm doin