150 miles and my gas is gone

• Sponsors (?)

I would fill up and calculate exact milage. Any codes? Bad lambdas will really cut down milage, as can running too cool (not getting into full fuel trim).

Good luck.

I just gased up my nearly empty tank today. I reset the odo everytime I gas up so I know what kind of mileage I'm getting. Today it read 166, which was with no highway driving all week. Last year I drove my car 5 hours on the highway to NY and only used a half tank of gas. On that tank I think I got 250+ miles. You get much better mileage on the highway than around town in these cars....

It is a 15.x gallon tank. I just put in almost 13 gallons today and my gauge was on 1/4 tank.

I am getting junk mileage as well, but I have a fresh 347 that I been tuning and having some fun with :) I almost got 10mpg this tank. I figure with normal driving it should improve. It should get at least 15 or so around town i'm hoping.

My idle and cruise a/f are ideal according to my wideband.

Last fill up, I got 220 Mile to the tank.. on like 14.5 gallons.... Like 16 MPG... but I also lug it around in 5th gear all the time. that's the KEY. If I just leave it in 4th, and cruise around, I'll get 160-170 miles to a tank... 5th gear is your friend, folks.

Doesn't matter what the tank capacity is -- use the reading off the station pump to determine how much you've used. And you have to be sure your odo is reasonably accurate - changing tire size and/or rear gears without correcting the speedo can really throw the odometer reading off which wreaks havoc with fuel mileage calcs. You can't do a reasonable estimate of mileage by looking at the fuel gauge and estimating fuel use (e.g. - 3/4 of a tank on the gauge means I used about 11 gallons) -- there's WAY too much variation on the gauges.

The biggest variable is driving style and conditions. It's pretty difficult for these engines in 3000-3500 lb. cars to do any better than about 14-15 mpg in heavy stop and go conditions. With a modded car that makes more HP at high rpm, and less torque at low rpm, it can be even worse as the engine spends most of it's time on the street in an rpm range that isn't very efficient for the modded motors. I live in a relatively small town, so my 'city' mileage isn't really impacted by heavy stop and go. With a mild H/C/I combo, and 3.73 gears (with slightly shorter tires than a STang - think 3.90 gears in a Stang) mine consistently gets 19-20 mpg around town, and 25-27 mpg on the highway. That's driven VERY conservatively -- I spend as little time above 2500 rpm as I have to. I'm turning over around 2300 rpm at 65 mph.

1991Vert - with a heavier vert, and that 2040 (E) cam, part of the problem is that you probably have much less torque between idle and 2500 rpm than you did before -- that lack of torque in a heavier car is gonna KILL around town mileage. When you rebuild with boost I'd strongly consider going with a cam choice that returns some bottom end; and a positive displacement supercharger (KB for example) will return more bottom end than a centrifugal (Vortex for example) will in the heavy vert.

michael, cam will be custom ground and im not too keen on the idea of the kenne bell because it's a torque MONSTER and driveability would suffer.

so i guess my mpg is normal? i dont do any highway driving with the car. dont want to get it dirty with bugs :D

"because it's a torque MONSTER and driveability would suffer."

You and I must define 'drivability' differently. Lots of torque down low is what makes one, especially a heavy vert, FUN to drive -- it ENHANCES drivability. That's why I suggested it. But apparently you have other ideas. Good luck with it.

So did these foxes have different size gas tanks? My manual says I have a 15.xx gallon tank, but I have never stuffed more than 13.xx gallons in the car, even when I almost ran her out of gas.

Mario