150 miles and my gas is gone

Then you didn't almost run her out of gas. LOL. I've put MORE then 15.4 gallons in my 83 before... It must have been running off of the gas left in the carb, and the fuel in the lines. haha

• Sponsors (?)

86T-Top said:
So did these foxes have different size gas tanks? My manual says I have a 15.xx gallon tank, but I have never stuffed more than 13.xx gallons in the car, even when I almost ran her out of gas.

Mario
Thank you.... with baffling and pump assembly its no more than 13.8....
never argue with the parts guy..plus I filled a brand new COMPLETEY EMPTY tank at the station and TO THE FILLER NECK it only took 13.8 Gallons and gas pumps are the most accurate so dont go there either...

Nutzy19 said:
Then you didn't almost run her out of gas. LOL. I've put MORE then 15.4 gallons in my 83 before... It must have been running off of the gas left in the carb, and the fuel in the lines. haha

I didn't want to admit it, but when I said I almost ran out of gas, I meant when I ran out of gas and had to walk to the gas station to get a gallon to fill her up. Anyway, I put a gallon in her on the side of the road and then I could only stuff in 12.xx more gallons. I have always wounder why my manual says one thing, but the fuel pump tells me I can only put in 13.xx gallons.

Maybe your 83 has a larger gas tank, because the carbed stangs get worse gas mileage. Or did the 4 cyl have a smaller gas tank, b/c of their small engines and better fuel mileage? If so maybe the previous owner swapped out my tank with a 4 cyl one. All I know is that I wish I could stuff a few more gallons in her so I don't have to be at the gas station 3 times a week.

BTW - I get anywhere from 12-15 mpg in the stop and go, and as bad as 10 in center city Philadelphia. But on the highway I have gotten 23MPG.

Mario

all mustangs from 1979-2004(models, years, nationalities) had the exact same gas tank, i checked part numbers with ford multiple times.

i dunno why you all can only put 13.x gallons in but ive filled up with close to 15 gallons many times, and i know the stock fuel pump wont drain the tank completely.

p.s. - its not good to run ur tank below like, 1/4 tank... the pump uses the fuel for cooling, and the less gas there is in a tank, the more oxygen there is, and more fuel for a possible explosion (worst case scenario)

Maybe your speedometer is off a little bit.

I always check my gas mileage with a GPS. I don't trust the speedometers for testing gas mileage.

Every car I have is off, even with no mods. I have correction cars in them all.

I once threw off the speedometer by 6 mph by pumping my tires up to 100psi, when I had my speedometer checked for court. I'm not telling why I needed to throw my speedometer off though. But, improper equipment citations are better than a speeding tickets in N.C>.

Jim

To the original poster and anyone having fuel comsumption problems:

If you are experiencing poor milage and have done the typical tune up with no improvements...do I have the product for you....J/K

Check your grounds. Particularly the injector harness ground on the back of the drivers side head. Also, check the ground strap from the firewall to that same head. I was fighting decreasing gas milage for over 1 year. Tried everything, sensors, plugs wires. During my head swap I was removing the injector harness and saw how dirty and corroded the connections were. Cleaned them and am getting the same milage I was when the car was bone stock. Just got 26 mpg this last weekend.

Try it. It's a free way to eliminate a potential source of your problem.

ya i saw the strap from the firewall just dangling when i swapped my stock h-pipe back on last night. i thought it was just rope incase some freak accident happened where my engine dropped into the road :shrug:

jimilane said:
Maybe your speedometer is off a little bit.

I always check my gas mileage with a GPS. I don't trust the speedometers for testing gas mileage.

Every car I have is off, even with no mods. I have correction cars in them all.

I once threw off the speedometer by 6 mph by pumping my tires up to 100psi, when I had my speedometer checked for court. I'm not telling why I needed to throw my speedometer off though. But, improper equipment citations are better than a speeding tickets in N.C>.

Jim

uh.... just a ?... howd u know it was 6mph off? i dunno much about gps systems, they can probably tell u speed tho so, yea

another thing... i dunno what kinda tires ur running or if there are that can withstand 100psi of pressure, but wtf... id be scared *****less to pump up a tire that much, they can and do explode.

a guy who works at a pizza place i used to work at was killed when one of his tires exploded when he was filling it up... not too sure on the details tho.

trying to interpolate (or extrapolate) anything from the stock gas gauge is a walk on the wildside if you ask me.

gas tank is 15.4 gallons like was said before. if im on the highway alot i easily hit 26 mpg with the 273's, but a lot less around town cuz i like to have a little fun...ok A LOT of fun :p. but got the 355's now...stupid gas prices...