2003 pcv valve

00GTpony

Mar 10, 2007
can u change the pcv valve in a 2003 4.6.. i cant find the part listing for that year, i had a 2000 and picked the part up 1,2, 3 installed, but the valve cover on my 2003 has a different way of hold the pcv valve in it.

• Sponsors (?)

high interference fit PCV valves

I have a 2003 and its PCV valve is what Ford calls "high interference fit". It fits into the valve cover using a 90 degree twist and an O-ring seal.

Ford changed the design (2001+ I think) to use a larger hose. The old standby grommet style PCV value was eliminated. The reason, if the PCV valve was not re-connected (or fell out), the car would not meet emissions. The smaller ¼” line leaked air but not so much that the car could not run (poorly). The size of the PCV line was increased to ½”. This creates such a large vacuum leak that the car will not start/run. This forces the tech/customer to repair the issue.

The high interference fit reduces the possibility of the PCV value coming loose.

On the right hand valve cover, try removing the hose. Turn the PCV valve 90 degrees and pull up. It will come out and it is a PCV valve. As for replacement, it is hit/miss in the auto parts stores. Try Ford.