3.31 v. 3.55 if not 4.10's?

Cary Ford

May 6, 2007
This isn't an algebra question. I'm getting ready to get rid of my O3 Marauder and grab an 07 GT with manual tranny. My Marauder was modded with a Dennis Reinhardt X-Cal tune, 4.10's, higher stall speed torque converter, jtl intake, front and rear sway bars and control arms....and I blew the motor at 38K miles.

So as soon as Ford puts the new one in, I'm going to trade it in for a GT. (I think the Shelby's are WAY overpriced and, frankly, don't really need or want 500 hp in my life right now...I'd pay sticker for a Shelby but I don't think they're worth more than 45K and I believe they'll only DEpreciate, not go up in value...but that's another thread.)

I'm not interested in modding the GT, at least not right away....I just want a fun daily driver.

So, will I notice any difference whatsoever in daily driving between a 3.31 and 3.55 gear?

I've been looking at two different cars and that's really the only difference between them.

Any thoughts? Encouragements? Discouragements?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think you will notice much between the 3.31s and the 3.55s. I went from the 3.31s to 4.10s and WHOA NELLY!!!! That along with a tune, you will be most pleassed as far as bang for the buck and VERY easy mods. You can switch from 87, 91 and 93 octane tunes as you refill your tank with the matching octane. Also adding a CAI at the same time as the tuner and getting custom tunes from either Brenspeed or Bamachips will gain you some more and still very easy mod(CAN be put back to stock in a matter of 30 minutes(CAI and reloading stock tune).

This isn't an algebra question. I'm getting ready to get rid of my O3 Marauder and grab an 07 GT with manual tranny. My Marauder was modded with a Dennis Reinhardt X-Cal tune, 4.10's, higher stall speed torque converter, jtl intake, front and rear sway bars and control arms....and I blew the motor at 38K miles.

So as soon as Ford puts the new one in, I'm going to trade it in for a GT. (I think the Shelby's are WAY overpriced and, frankly, don't really need or want 500 hp in my life right now...I'd pay sticker for a Shelby but I don't think they're worth more than 45K and I believe they'll only DEpreciate, not go up in value...but that's another thread.)

I'm not interested in modding the GT, at least not right away....I just want a fun daily driver.

So, will I notice any difference whatsoever in daily driving between a 3.31 and 3.55 gear?

I've been looking at two different cars and that's really the only difference between them.

definitely go with the lower gear (higher numerically) IF thats the only difference between the two cars you are looking at.

I must say, the ONLY advantage I've seen with my 3.31's (I wanted 3.55's) is that with such gearing and my usually grandmother type driving; I see great MPG!! Just drove to Defiance and back to Toledo (110 round trip, 60F outside temp) and my computer shows 28.5 average MPG. I wish I had 3.73's.

I went 280 miles from PA to VA back in March(mountain driving as well). Keeping it at no more than 5 over the posted limits I got 23.8(with mods in my sig)!!!!!

3:55's

I have an 07 GT manual 5 speed and ordered it with the 3:55's. To me its just right. I have a Brenspeed 93 octane tune and C&L CAI and with this set up, it pulls HARD. In the quarter, I run 12.90's or low 13's if I get my launch right, Im tripping the lights wound out to 6.500 rpm in third gear.

Lower gearing will have me shifting to fourth, and first gear becomes allmost like a "granny" gear in on old pickup with 4:10's making you shift first to second close together. A lot of guys dont mind that, and in fact its a lot of fun on the street at times. 3:55's are a great balance of low and high speed in my oppinion.

6000 rpms in fourth gear amounts to 135 mph, 4000 in fifth makes 145 mph and thats fast enough for me.

Oh ya, and should you one day supercharge your Stang, 4:10's will be too steep a gear for the street with out some monster tires on back! :D

I didn't have an interest in 3.55's when I bought my car, but it was the only extraneous option and it was only $100. I can still get great mileage (I average within 1 mpg of what I got with my WRX) and there isn't a drone on the highway (although the exhaust will stay stock for a while). I guess this may not help, as I could have gone either way. :)

Tom