3" catbacks....

• Sponsors (?)

I went with MAC Ceramic Long Tubes w/ 3" collector, MAC 3" Prochamber and MAC 3" Catback. The sound was crazy and the fitment was spot on. Had no complaints. Got the entire kit shipped to my door for like a grand.

3inchprochamber.jpg

3catback.jpg

MustangTailPipes.jpg

MustangRear.jpg

Why the heck did you leave the smog pump inlet on it? The first thing did was chop and cap that off. I've also been very happy with the Mac stuff I've bought. I really like their 2 piece tailpipes. It allows you to remove the exhaust later on without cutting and rewelding, it also gives you a better range of adjustment on the tailpipes to get them straight.

Kurt

I was actually surprised a 3" exhaust system would even have the smog pump pipe. I just capped it off. You're right, for those who don't have a lift can install a MAC system like this without getting the car high in the air because of the way it installs in sections.

They put that stupid air inlet tube on all the exhausts for no apparent reason. When I first got my Prochamber I just stood on the end of it with a welder to close the hole. Eventually I went back, cut it off completely, and capped it at the Prochamber with a piece of metal. I don't see any reason to have it sticking up into the driveshaft area just asking for trouble. It's also one more thing to snag your arm when you are taking it out.

I of course don't have a lift, but that's not the only reason I like the two piece tail pipes. Sure it was nice on my car, because I was able to install all the parts under the car, get it all aligned, and then clamp it down, take it back out and weld it on a bench. I also like the fact that you can go back and pull the exhaust out later without cutting it up. With one piece tails, you have to drop the rear end, slide the pipes over, pick up the rear end, and then weld once your under the car, which is also a pain. It's a good idea to get a sock hat and soak it in water to wear while you are under there. I've lit my hair on fire several times.

Kurt

I saw the MAC but Im trying to confirm it is still available....looks like it was updated to 3.5" tips. I also never had issues and preferred the sound of my MAC system over the Flowmasters.

I just made a custom 3" x pipe for a car and he has a 2.5" catback, Bassani will make me the pieces I need for $50 which is great but Id like to see a 3" system in the rear if possible

I made my own with the Flowmaster 3" tailpipes for a fox body. It was tight, but they did fit. I did get them to line up better than in these pics. The problem was with the muffler and x-pipe alignment.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2230&g2_serialNumber=3

trackday09.jpg

Vibrant - I'm going to be running the Mac 3" pro chamber as well with my Accufab LT's b/c the collector is 3" anyway, how does it sound? Also do you have any close up pics of the end of the pro chamber that connects to the long tubes? I'm thinking I am going to cut the very end off it so there is no flange or flare at the end of the pipe ( so it is straight ) so that it will match right up to the 3" cats and band clamp them together. Does that sound logical?

Also what do you guys suggest as far as how to connect my 2.5" Dynomax side exhaust up to my Mac 3" pro Chamber when I get it?

awesome thanks. I'm currently thinking of going with a full Mac 3" exhaust system (dumped) I dont want tail pipes. So in that case Id be selling the SVO side skirts and dynomax side exhaust and getting some Cervini's side skirts

To bolt up a 2.5" catback to a 3" X or H-pipe depends on brand... SOMETIMES you can bolt them up since the 3" isnt not true 3" opening, but that is not always the case.

For instance, the 3" X pipe I just fabbed I can slide the 2.5" pipe inside at the ball and socket.:oops:

I called and talked with Bassani and they can make me new sockets that start 2.5" and flare to a 3" connection with flanges for $50, then all I would need to do is cut the ends of the Flowmaster system and weld them in....

Thanks for the vid's that sounds really good.

Any ideas of the opening on the prochamber is actually 3" or 2.5"? I'm thinking I might do the 3" prochamber and then a pair of magnaflow mufflers that have the inlet/outlet in the center and dump it. Is the only other part I would need to make that set up work be the flow tubes?

If I remember correctly (this was 2005) the collector is 3". If you're just going to dump it then I suggest just getting the tubes that bend over the axle too. This way they dump over the rear axle and away from the doors. The sound is super loud though, too much for me.

I went with MAC Ceramic Long Tubes w/ 3" collector, MAC 3" Prochamber and MAC 3" Catback. The sound was crazy and the fitment was spot on. Had no complaints. Got the entire kit shipped to my door for like a grand.

...and ya know... 10 or 15 years ago, all you'd hear is how MAC was medeocre quality, bargain parts etc. They've come a long way since then IMO.

To bolt up a 2.5" catback to a 3" X or H-pipe depends on brand... SOMETIMES you can bolt them up since the 3" isnt not true 3" opening, but that is not always the case.

For instance, the 3" X pipe I just fabbed I can slide the 2.5" pipe inside at the ball and socket.:oops:

I called and talked with Bassani and they can make me new sockets that start 2.5" and flare to a 3" connection with flanges for $50, then all I would need to do is cut the ends of the Flowmaster system and weld them in....

I bought a pair of 2.5" ball ends with 3" pipe from Jegs. They are made by Flowmaster. I'm using them to bolt my 3" y-pipe to my 2.5" catback.

Here they are:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389/15925/10002/-1

If Bassani only wants $50, that's a nice price.

...and ya know... 10 or 15 years ago, all you'd hear is how MAC was medeocre quality, bargain parts etc. They've come a long way since then IMO.

I've had so many exhaust parts on my car. I should have bought MAC Long Tubes, MAC Prochamber and MAC Cat Back from day 1 honestly and saved all that money. I've had MAC stuff for over 15 years. All their stuff seemed to fit better than the other parts I had. I'd buy MAC all over again without hesitation. Probably the only MAC parts I'd buy.

1994- MAC 1-5/8" Chrome Equal Length Shorty's, MAC 2.5" Off Road H, Flowmaster 3 Chamber cat back (Force II kit).
1997- Same Headers, MAC 2.5" High Flow catted H-Pipe, Same Cat Back.
1999- Same Headers, Bassani 2.5" X-Pipe, Same Cat Back. X-Pipe craze started, Bassani first generation X for SN95's didn't fit all that well.
2001- Same Headers, Same X, MAC 2.5" Cat Back (Flowmaster system rusted out).
2003- MAC 1-5/8" Chrome Long Tubes, MAC 2.5" Prochamber, Same MAC 2.5" Cat back. Changed to this system with the change to the Edelbrock RPM Upper Intake from the Performer upper. What a difference.
2005- MAC 1-3/4" Ceramic Long Tubes, MAC 3" Prochamber, MAC 3" Cat Back.

Trying to score a 3" prochamber and 3" mufflers on another site in the for sale section but the sale is currently "pending" I'm next in line if it falls through though, crossing my fingers.