3" catbacks....

They are a few ways to go about it since the headers are made for a slip fit connection... Here's what I was thinking.

I assume you have cats that you want to make removable. Ive done this in the past. Id make a slip fit connection to the header, and the cat, then another slip fit to the X/H pipe, then use the ball and socket connection to the cat back. Then what you can do is make a piece of pipe the same length as the cat and swap it out when ever you want for OFF ROAD USE :D. SLP make a set-up like this for the mod motor, pretty slick....

Since it seems he will be making or having a cat back made using the Borla ProXS mufflers, Id repurpose the socket parts your cutting off the Prochamber and use them back at the new cat back, weld them to the new "flowtubes" or intermediate pipes. This way you have ball and socket connections at the catback point which is easier to align/install.

If I make a full custom exhaust system I do all slip fit connections, but it has to be perfect or it is a bitch to align and put back on, this is mainly on race cars that do not have tail pipes.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not going to run tail pipes with this set up I'm just going to dump it and I'll be running cats all the time. I had magnapacks on this once w/ an O/R H pipe and it was un godly loud. I dont think the Borla proXS mufflers are as loud as magnapacks but it would still be more annoying then pleasent sounding. Also with no cats it just does not sound very good.

I have a set of flowtubes that came off my dynomax super turbo mufflers but they are 2.5". Will I be able to get flow tubes from you as well when I buy the borla mufflers?

Yes I did rick I just checked it, cant wait to get it :D. How much are flow tubes b/c I assume I will need them for the mufflers to line up with the hangers.

I'm sick of tail pipes kurt. My manaflow exhaust system I had last just never fit right. I had one pipe that hung low and the other one was hitting the bumper and melted an exhaust tip shape grove into it. Ive never run dumps but it just seems like much less of a hassle.

I've driven in a Mustang with just about every exhaust too. I had 2 chamber flowmasters when I was younger, but the sound doesn't appeal to me now.

Kurt

The MAC 3" Cat Back could be dumped if you didn't install the tailpipes. The MAC set up would dump over the rear axle instead of right under your seat. Nothing like sitting at light with dumps under the seat and the windows down. People look over to hear a nice Mustang rumbling and they see you coughing / choking on fumes. Then you pick up your girl and you have the carbon monoxide cologne on. Oh, I remember dumps, it last a month and it was over. It took a few months off my life.

Thanks Rick!

2cbf4f83.jpg

a88e0a55.jpg

So when is it a good time to upgrade to a 3" exhaust system? Ive always heard that its a HP level thing but my collectors on the heads come off as 3" so I figured Id just make the whole system 3" and really let the engine breath on both ends.

I remember a conversation before about 3" exhaust systems and the guy talking about it was pretty arrogant about it as in unless you have a really awesome car like mine you should not be using a 3" exhaust set up. Probably some douche from the corral lol