351 time?? need some advice guys..

Here's my little 393 that just went in my SN-95...

fullengine.jpg

Ditto what everyone else said, except the only really practical way to convert a non-roller block to roller is with the $400 lifters. If you use a spider on an early block you need a small base circle cam.

The Trickflow intake just barely clears my "R" hood.

You can get a distributor from a '96 5.8 van from Autozone for $50 and it has the right gear on it already.

The 302 timing cover and accessory pulleys will bolt right up, as will the water pump. Jegs has the conversion oil pans cheap.

Remember this too - if you put 302 parts (like intake etc.) on a 351, you'll get 302 power out of it.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks Guys!

Joe, hope I don't run 9's with it - NHRA safety rules are killer for 9 second verts. I just want a nice 'peppy' street car that will run lazy 11's all day long... and maybe a 10 when pushed...

Nik: LOL!!!

Thanks a lot for the info.. I went and checked out a 351 roller block, it looks really good, barely any rust (not that it matters) hasn't been bored over, main caps look huge compared to 302 caps??? (2 bolt still)..

I can't seem to find F4TE on the block but I've found 351 stamped in it..

add: HOLY CRAP I just read over your combo, that must be amazing, does it run 9's !!?? what a beauty.. care to drop me a PM with any thoughts about head/cam/intake?? (how is the Trickflow??)

Don 95Vert said:
Here's my little 393 that just went in my SN-95...

fullengine.jpg

Ditto what everyone else said, except the only really practical way to convert a non-roller block to roller is with the $400 lifters. If you use a spider on an early block you need a small base circle cam.

The Trickflow intake just barely clears my "R" hood.

You can get a distributor from a '96 5.8 van from Autozone for $50 and it has the right gear on it already.

The 302 timing cover and accessory pulleys will bolt right up, as will the water pump. Jegs has the conversion oil pans cheap.

Remember this too - if you put 302 parts (like intake etc.) on a 351, you'll get 302 power out of it.

OK quick question guys, how hard is it to take out a broken head stud threaded into the block? any good machine shop should be able to get it out easy?? that's the only thing wrong with the block I just picked up last night.. $300USD, hasn't been bored over, and the main caps look huge compared to 302.. :nice:

now the 2 year project begins.. haha

jetuomi said:
OK quick question guys, how hard is it to take out a broken head stud threaded into the block? any good machine shop should be able to get it out easy?? that's the only thing wrong with the block I just picked up last night.. $300USD, hasn't been bored over, and the main caps look huge compared to 302.. :nice:

now the 2 year project begins.. haha

I hear the 2 year project part!!!!!!!

Ive got a 351W block sitting in the garage... probably going to go 408 with 6 to 10psi on it.

Only diff... its completely fine... and i got it for ~$50 after favors. Ive got a crank and a bunch of pistons and lifters and all kinds of crap for it though.