5.4 intake on a 4.6...would it work?

dr.cid

May 9, 2008
i'm looking at geting a mustang (99-04 gt) and and i had kind of a side idea of something i could do but i'm not really sure if a 5.4l intake manifold would fit our not. if not then why?

most of my knowledge is on the OHV ford V8's not the mod V8's. thanks alot!

• Sponsors (?)

You need an adapter to run a 4.6 intake on a 5.4 so i'd imagine the opposite would hold true as well.

The 5.4 intake on a 4.6 (no one does this in case you're wondering) will make alot less power at a much lower RPM range to be useful, the runners are way too long and the car would run out of breath at 4k, not to mention the fact that it won't clear the stock hood.

I don't think it will work at all

you can use an adaptor to make something smaller fit something bigger: I.E. 4.6 manifold (smaller) on 5.4 engine (bigger), but it doesn't work the other way around...

I suspect the 5.4 manifold is much too wide to fit into the valley on a 4.6

I've seen it done before, but it had to be cut and welded back together to fit. This was a lightning intake modified to fit a 4.6 with a whipple. While the person that did it was totally capable of handling that kind of work the average shade tree mechanic should look elsewhere.

a side idea

Leave the side idea on the side of the road...
Even if you got it to work, you'd lose power. The 4.6L manifold gets criticized often because it's plastic, but honestly, it's a great design. Sure, you could make more power with shorter runners, but you'd sacrifice any bit of torque that the 4.6L makes (which is not enough to begin with).
Props for thinking of new ways to mix and match parts - that's what makes cars fun! This, unfortunately, is just not a feasible swap.
A better swap? The whole 5.4 engine...torque monster. Either that or swap in a 4 valve motor.