80mm-90mm MAF upgrade

3ponyshow

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2002
Las Vegas
I'm upgrading my MAF as well as some other things and have a question I couldn't find the answer for in a search.

In '02, the IAT sensor was separate and I have 4 pins in the MAF plug. The IAT sensor is in the inlet pipe of the S/C. Now upgrading to the Lightning MAF, the plug has 6 pins. Do I need to route the 2 wires currently in the inlet pipe back into the MAF plug for the Lightning MAF to work or are they good where they are?

I'm doing this now so a quick response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

I'm upgrading my MAF as well as some other things and have a question I couldn't find the answer for in a search.

In '02, the IAT sensor was separate and I have 4 pins in the MAF plug. The IAT sensor is in the inlet pipe of the S/C. Now upgrading to the Lightning MAF, the plug has 6 pins. Do I need to route the 2 wires currently in the inlet pipe back into the MAF plug for the Lightning MAF to work or are they good where they are?

I'm doing this now so a quick response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Unless you're running forced induction and/or every bolt on under the sun, you're wasting your time swapping mass air meters. The Mustangs stock 80mm unit is fine for any amount of power you're likely to make with simple bolt ons.

My question to you is this:
Where did you buy the Lightning MAF? I was under the impression the Lightning MAF sold by American Muscle was a "plug n play".

I bought it used from another stanger. But to point, it may be plug-and-play, but since my car was already modified, is it still? ninjastang125 has already confirmed it is, so I hope he's right. I was thinking it was also, but I'd rather hear it from people that know considerably more than I do.

trombonedemon. It's all good. :)

you need to get a Lightning screw in IAT sensor and wiring harness , use the 2 outside wires from your factory MAF pigtail and connect them to the new IAT sensor and install it in the pipe just before your throttle body , the wires measure resistance so it doesnt matter which way you hook them up

Interesting that you said the 02 had a separate IAT, because mine didn't...my wife's 01 did.

To all - the MAF plug size is the same (early or late, they'll all handle 6 wires), but from the early SN95 to the later models they moved the IAT from the inlet tract into the MAF sensor housing, therefore separating the wiring on the early models (only 4 wires into the MAF and 2 wires to the IAT)...then all 6 wires in the 02-04.

maf04.gif

Interesting that you said the 02 had a separate IAT, because mine didn't...my wife's 01 did.

To all - the MAF plug size is the same (early or late, they'll all handle 6 wires), but from the early SN95 to the later models they moved the IAT from the inlet tract into the MAF sensor housing, therefore separating the wiring on the early models (only 4 wires into the MAF and 2 wires to the IAT)...then all 6 wires in the 02-04.

maf04.gif

To clarify, mine origianlly was integrated with the MAF housing, but had since been separated out (I don't remember why) when the mongoose kit was installed. The question was, with the 90 mm MAF plug having all 6 pins, would I have to re-integrate the (now) separated IAT wires back into the MAF plug or leave them where they are? Or to phrase it differently, can I use the current IAT sensor or do I have to use the one that's apparently integrated with the 90 mm MAF?