'93 Cobra engine camshaft recommendation

My friend has a '93 GT with a Cobra engine swapped in it(it's a authentic Cobra engine) and wants to do a few upgrades to it. What would be decent off-the-shelf camshaft to swap in place of the stock one for street/strip duty.

The car might be receiving some Edelbrock performer heads very soon, any recommendations for a cam to go along with those heads? If he swaps the Edelbrock heads on, I think he's going to send his Cobra intake to TMOSS to get it ported for what it's worth. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

mfewtrail said:
My friend has a '93 GT with a Cobra engine swapped in it(it's a authentic Cobra engine) and wants to do a few upgrades to it. What would be decent off-the-shelf camshaft to swap in place of the stock one for street/strip duty.

The car might be receiving some Edelbrock performer heads very soon, any recommendations for a cam to go along with those heads? If he swaps the Edelbrock heads on, I think he's going to send his Cobra intake to TMOSS to get it ported for what it's worth. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.:nice:

Are there any smog requirements on the car?

If it's a real '93 Cobra engine, the cam is unique. It's not a stock 5.0 cam nor is it the B or E303. It even has it's own part number from Ford. It's made for the 1.7 rockers and gives about .480 or so lift. If he swaps the cam, he might should hold onto it.

Anything but the stock 93 cobra cam!!!

Seriously though, the cobra cam is smaller (I believe) that a stock 5.0 HO cam, though it did come with 1.7 RR's which made up for some of it.

I had a '94 cobra motor in a '91 LX. I put in an E303 cam and kept the 1.7 RR's. I had an explorer intake and the stock GT40 iron heads. The car made good power to 6,000 and sounded pretty cool idling.

I was really happy with the E303. like JS94Cobra said, if your buddy has to take the car through emissions, he might have trouble if he puts in a bigger cam.

Jeff

The car doesn't need to pass any sort of emissions or even an inspection. Georgia only has emissions testing in a few counties around Atlanta

EDIT: Rick, that cam doesn't require notching the stock pistons does it(with the stock GT40's or w/ the Edelbrocks?)? I seem to remember some "piston notching" posts and having that cam mentioned.