94 cobra 3.89's speedo help!!

vortech1cobra

Apr 22, 2010
i am building up a ford 9" for my 94 cobra and i bought and installed an auburn pro series diff and richmond 3.89 gear set after i assembled my third member and put it in my rear end housing i remembered that i need to figure out how im going to fix my speedo. i know there is a gear on each of the stock axles with a sensor for the speedometer but i am not sure what size of a gear i need to fix my speedometer and what else i need to do if thats not all? any help greatly appreciated! thank you.

car mods are as follows-1994 mustang cobra
full forged internals good for 16lbs boost
AFR ported heads vortech v-1 s trim pushing 8lbs
bbk shortys (replacing with full length soon)
full saleen suspension
msd ignition and boost retard control
internal engine specs...to many to list id have to pull out all my receipts.

• Sponsors (?)

if my speedo gear is in my trany then what are the gears on the end of my axles? i thought they were my speedometer gears..i am so confused...at the end of my stock axles there are gears with some sort of sensor which i thought sensed the speed of the axle?

ooohhh..... damn i feel smart. i did not even know i had rear abs haha so if i just dont bother pressing those on my new axles will it hurt anything? cuz the axle i got from moser for my 9" are waaaaay stouter and thicker than my stock ones

You'll never get the ABS to work on the 9" axles. After a certain size axle on an 8.8, you won't be able to make it work either. I'd sell the 9" rear end. You can put 2000hp to a 8.8 axle if you build it right. The 9" will just make your car slower.

Kurt

yeah but you see the thing is ive already spent 2,000$+ on gears diff third member and the moser rear end and axles that i dont want to do that id be happier runing the 9" with no abs abs makes you slower too the whole system ads a few pounds haha i was actually thinking about removing my braking system all together...just adds weight and slows you down :p