94 mustang driveability

i have a 94 gt, when i drive the car for 20 miles or so its ok, but when i turn the car off, then turn it back on, the car throws out alot of black smoke and sound wierd and car doesn't idle..... i just changed the ECT sensor, but it did it before i changed the sensor, has anyone ever had this issue before?

• Sponsors (?)

If you stab the throttle and let it fall back to idle, does it straighten out?

I would be more inclined to think it's an engine management issue. A sensor is giving bad info because it gets heatsoaked or something along those lines.

You might try retrieving codes. Also, if it happens like clockwork, view PIDs while it's acting up. You might see a sensor is out of calibration.

Good luck.

What mods do you have done to the car?

I had the exact same problem you did for a while when I first got my car. For the first 30 seconds or so when the engine was warm the car would not idle it had a strange muffled sound and the car would blow out black smoke. After 30 seconds or so the car would start to act normal. It turns out my cobra had a stock gt computer in it. With the cobra's stock 24lb injectors and the GT computers rich start up fuel tables the car was flooding. It only did this though on hot starts. All other times it seemed to run pretty good except it did have a fairly unstable idle pretty much all the time.

I noticed I didn't have a J4J1 (cobra) computer when I installed the tweecer so I downloaded the factory cobra tune into the tweecer and it's worked great since.

my mods are 30lb injectors, 255 feul pump adjustable fuel pressure regulator @35psi, e cam roller rockers....... is is doing the same as rj95svt explained...... my car is a gt with no tune yet,

For future threads, you should list your mods in your sig or opening post. Knowing that you have a HCI makes a big difference.

I believe that until you get it tuned you will probably continue to have problems.
The startup fuel table is probably causing all your problems because your computer thinks you have 19lb injectors.