95 Cobra issues.

toppdogg_1

Founding Member
Nov 27, 2001
Just recently my car started having problems. It won't accelerate past 2.5-3k RPM. In neutral it won't rev past 4k. MASSIVE power loss. It doesn't misfire when easy on the throttle but if i try to punch it (which is pointless anyways) i can feel it misfiring. Tested with a new coil no difference. Tested TPS voltage and it was fine. Have a new MAF (old one went bad about 6 months ago) Has a new cap/rotor. No CEL is on or flashing or has turned on. The rear cat on passenger side does have a dent in it from when backing down a driveway and it hit the curb. I'm thinking the honeycomb broke and the cat's clogged and causing excessive backpressure, but i'm not sure. any other ideas?

The car does have a Ford RPM Extender modified for Cobras but i don't think it's that because with extender disconnected car won't start so i would figure same thing would happen if it went bad.

Thanks

Edit: Also when going uphill i can barely get past 30-40mph just cuz of the RPM issue and also the engine temp starts to rise pretty quickly (doesn't overheat) but defiantly hotter then it should be especially with how cold it is outside.

• Sponsors (?)

could be the cat might of collapsed if it was hit pretty hard

when was the last time you did the spark plug change and what spark plugs did you use I had a similiar issue with my cobra that it would buck when going at slows speeds and would misfire

+1 on a blocked cat.

Almost sounds like the SPOUT connector is out or shorted out. If you check the timing, at idle, is it rock solid at one setting, or does it bounce around? With the SPOUT in, the computer will adjust the timing on the fly. If the SPOUT is missing or the wires are damaged, the computer will not advance timing and your timing will be rock solid at idle.

I forgot to put the SPOUT back in once, and it felt like the engine had something holding it back. It also had to work really hard at accelerating. Something to check.

Sounds a lot more serious than the SPOUT being out.

Are you sure the RPM extender has nothing to do with it? Perhaps try to eliminate the cat from a possibility and then go back to running without the extender if its still acting up.

Checked the SPOUT it's in properly. Tested cranking fuel pressure it's a 40PSI. Gonna change plugs tomorrow and pull the extender. If they still don't make a difference gonna drop the stock mid-pipe and give it an open manifold run down the block to see if it did the trick, if so i'll just hack out the cat, put in a straight tube until emissions and then i'll order a magnaflow 93339

Pull codes. The CEL need not be illuminated (or have even flashed) to have codes stored.

If you have a vac gauge, hook it up. Hold the revs at 2500 RPM (very steady) and see if the reading drops within a minute. If it does, that indicates an exhaust restriction.

Checking the timing is so easy, do it as suggested. Severely retarded locked timing would run like crap with no pull at higher revs, and horrible off-idle performance.

Is there a cut-in point with the extender (I thought they did but I might be thinking of something else)? If so, does this happen at that threshold? If so, I'd look there sooner.

Matt, please move this to Tech.

still working on it. Pulled the extender out just to make sure that wasn't it because i found out that it extender cut in rpm is 2500 and still same problem. I've checked the TPS voltage and it is linear with no issues. Borrowed a better jack from a friend so i'm gonna disconnect manifold before cats to see if it clears up. In Neutral the car won't rev past 3k.

I've had my PIP go bad before and it didn't act like this, there would be starting issues, stalling, driving problems. The car starts fine everytime and doesn't stall. Instead of replacing PIP i swapped in a MSD dizzy (this was about 2 years ago).

I did vacuum test also and the moment i let off throttle vacuum went back to where it should be almost immediately which is weird because if exhaust is clogged shouldn't it be slow but still gonna disconnect at manfiold.

Also hooked up fuel pressure gauge. Had 40PSI while cranking. So doubt it fuel pump or clogged filter even though i'm going to change out filter also just incase

It would be strange for the timing to be suddenly out of whack just because it never had a problem with it before and i haven't done anything that would affect timing, never played with the SPOUT, distributor is clamped down, tried to rotate it just to make sure and it didn't move.

Is there a possibility it's the MAF? I swapped it out about 6months ago because it went bad (lean codes both banks) but it never gave me issues like this. Just and random CEL would turn on for about 10-20sec then turn off due to O2 sensors at max fuel compensation allowed.

Is there a possibility it's the MAF? I swapped it out about 6months ago because it went bad (lean codes both banks) but it never gave me issues like this. Just and random CEL would turn on for about 10-20sec then turn off due to O2 sensors at max fuel compensation allowed.

Unplug the MAF to see if it changes it goes in to a fail safe mode or whatever its called if it revs fine you found your problem

Unplugged MAF and reved it, no difference still wouldn't rev past 3-3.5k. Checked timing it was at 12degree. Time to unhook manifold from stock mid-pipe and give it a quick rip down the block

Unfortunately I don't think the 93339 is produced anymore. It's no longer in our list of products that we get from Magnaflow, they only have the 93333 which is the x-pipe.

I noticed that also, that it's not on magnaflows website. But when I search google for "magnaflow 93339" and click on shopping it looks like it's still available from jegs, summit, i called autozone gave them them the part number and it looks like they can order it also :shrug: