'96-'98 Cobra or 99+ GT

Vabeachguy

Jan 27, 2004
Hello everyone, I am new here and I wanted to say hello!!

Also I am beginning my search for another stang and want your expert opinion on which would be better, a '96-'98 Cobra or 99+ GT.

• Sponsors (?)

i would think looks plays a big part in this. which look do you prefer? other points:
2) power- the cobra (base line) puts out about 30 more rwhp
3) prices- parts cost more for the cobra (in most cases)
4) insurance- i really don't know if there is a big difference or not

good luck with your search.

I've had both. The Cobra owns. I think you better have significant seat time in each car to add your $0.02. I put 25k on the 99 GT and I've put 15k in the snake. Its a no-brainer.

Better brakes, better motor, better resale, whatever the Cobra 'prestige' is worth to you, a little nicer interior. Insurance was a tad cheaper for me on the Cobra (liability was unchanged, but the older car had a lower collision policy) Exterior styling preferences are up to the individual. I think both cars look great.

Vabeachguy said:

it depends, two different body styles, two different price tags, you'll probably pay about the same ammount of insurance, the 99+ is a newer car, and most likely the cobra will have more miles on it..

its really up to you, what you'd prefer..

The DOHC motor in the Cobra has far more potential than the SOHC in the GT. N/A or FI, the DOHC owns the SOHC. Think about it, you start off with 305 HP in the cobra. Bolt ons with the GT MIGHT get you to 305 HP(at the crank. We all know it takes head work and cams to get over 300 RWHP with the SOHC motor). You can get a bolt on cobra over 300 RWHP with relative ease.

Plus, I like the curvy pre-99 styling over the new edge design.

Well, Ive never driven a 98 cobra, but I drive a 99 GT. Dont get me wrong I absolutely LOVE my car, but there is something about those nostrils on the cobra(nonfunctional or not), it doesnt matter, it just looks mean. And If you ever decide to supercharge it, welcome to an easy to reach 450hp. Its really all about tastes and preferences like mentioned before. The GT will probably give you a more torquey feel due to its powerband, but the cobra will shine up top. They are both great cars. Drive them both for a day or two, then decide. I wouldnt mind having both, but we all know how that is. Good luck choosing.
Matt

It's a no brainer, Cobra. They will feel about the same speed wise under 3 grand, but the Cobra absolutely OWNS the top end. 7000rpm to toy with, beautiful, 305HP DOHC motor, the potential is great. Besides, you get Cobra exclusitivity. Everyone and their mom has a 99+ GT, but 96-98 Cobras are extremely rare. I think they look better too, IMO.

Craig Mack said:
It's a no brainer, Cobra. They will feel about the same speed wise under 3 grand, but the Cobra absolutely OWNS the top end. 7000rpm to toy with, beautiful, 305HP DOHC motor, the potential is great. Besides, you get Cobra exclusitivity. Everyone and their mom has a 99+ GT, but 96-98 Cobras are extremely rare. I think they look better too, IMO.

your mom has gt? :nice:

Vabeachguy said:
Hello everyone, I am new here and I wanted to say hello!!

Also I am beginning my search for another stang and want your expert opinion on which would be better, a '96-'98 Cobra or 99+ GT.

96-98 Cobra has 32V motor, 305HP while the 99+ GT has a 16V motor with 260HP. There is much more potential with the Cobra...Sounds like a no brainer to me. :D