A/C cost

95Monky

Jan 3, 2003
Chico, CA
I am looking to buy a 93 gt that has had the A/C removed.. I am assuming everything was removed. I have not looked at the car in person yet. My question is if everything in the engine bay had to be purchased what would be a reasonable cost? IE junk yard etc.

• Sponsors (?)

Well.... lets consider that the evaporator in the dash is still there and good. If you are to buy all this stuff new it would be probally 600-800 easy. Get someone's take off system and it would be much cheaper.

I would say dont cheap out on this one. the newest fox compressor at the JY is 17 years old. Spend the 600 at LRS and get everything you know is brand new and will be 100% functional.

I'm doing the same thing....it's my #1 winter project. I STUPIDLY ripped out my factory A/C and trashed it thinking that 30 pounds was gonna turn me into a 11 second terror or something. Now that the car is a weekend cruiser, i can't really enjoy it when i'm sticking to my black leather seats. SO A/C is going back....and i'm gonna spend some coin to do it correctly.

I just ordered all 3 hoses brand new from Rockauto.com. I do not want used stuff that has been sitting out in the open being allowed to rust. The orifice tube (Part # YF2584 below) you want new anyway.

Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Refrigerant Discharge Hose
MOTORCRAFT Part # YF1348 {#E6ZZ19972A## $65.99

Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Receiver Drier/ Accumulator
MOTORCRAFT Part # YF1435 {#E7ZZ19C836B##
Factory Installed; Tank, Switch & Hose Assy $118.79

Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Refrigerant Hose
MOTORCRAFT Part # YF2584 {#F3ZZ19835CA##
factory installed $41.79

So i'm up to $230+ so far.... Just on the hoses.

I'm gonna pick up a compressor used and rebuild it. I am tech savvy enough to do so, but if you aren't, i'd buy new. I'm also going to replace the shaft seal as well which tends to be the culprit of most leaking a/c systems

(6P148 is the one you want if you choose to replace it)
AC Source - Automotive Air Conditioning, AC Parts Tools Equipment Kits - Nippondenso

I still need to get my condensor as well...unsure if 'll replace my evaporator. Gonna look inside with a borescope and see how it looks and then decide.

btw....AC Source - Automotive Air Conditioning, AC Parts Tools Equipment Kits is a good supply of seals and shafts and such, but i got my lines from rockauto.com.

You'll also need to make sure you pull a vacuum on the system first before adding the 134a (or r12 if you got the $$ for some). I managed to score a vac pump for free from work, but you can prob head to an a/c shop and ask them to do that.