A post a day......

Mentioned a few posts ago I was looking for a new motorcycle....well, I got it. '12 Triumph Speed Triple. Bought it Saturday, spent the night in Albuquerque, rode it back today (Sunday)...about 200 miles first day.
speedy.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Just need to vent a little. I am sick and tired of these new so called "5.0" cars stealing our glory. Every time I go on youtube or google to find info on something about our 5.0 I'm greeted with butt loads of results on 2011 Coyote 5.0's! This is getting out of hand. At first I was excited about the return of the 5.0, but now I'm not so sure.

I guess the solution from now on is whenever we post vids or pics use "302" in addition to the "5.0" tag so searches will find the correct 5.0 instead of the Coyote. DAMN THE COYOTE!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!! lol

I guess the solution from now on is whenever we post vids or pics use "302" in addition to the "5.0" tag so searches will find the correct 5.0 instead of the Coyote. DAMN THE COYOTE!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!! lol

I just search 'Fox' or 'SN95' when looking for vids on youtube.

On a side note: I just got the car up on jacks and the tranny out to replace the rear main seal.
So much work for such a small thing. But, its been getting progressively worse each year. And the last time I changed the oil it started leaking fresh oil almost immediately :(

Now, how do you guys like to install them: lubed, dry, lubed center only, etc???

Lubed center only. No sealant on the outside. You will need to scuff up the surface on the crankshaft where the rear main seal rides with some light sandpaper to ensure a fresh break in on the new seal.

Kurt

If you want, I can record my father's dissertation on seal break in for you. These are the things you only learn when your father used to design propulsion systems for the Navy.

Kurt

Lay it out. I'd bet everyone on here would appreciate it.

Just so I got your suggestion straight you are saying to not put anything on the outter surface to help install the seal.
Just oil the inner surface that the crakshaft rotates on and tap in the seal with the rest of it dry.

It was more of a joke. Sometimes my dad drives me crazy how technical he gets. He's one of those people who can design anything, but can't balance a check book. In basic mechanic skills, I've honestly gotten better than him, but sometimes he still amazes me.

You are correct, install it dry on the outside with no sealant. To pull the old one out, jamb a screwdriver in the side, and just pry it out.

Kurt

It was more of a joke. Sometimes my dad drives me crazy how technical he gets. He's one of those people who can design anything, but can't balance a check book. In basic mechanic skills, I've honestly gotten better than him, but sometimes he still amazes me.

You are correct, install it dry on the outside with no sealant. To pull the old one out, jamb a screwdriver in the side, and just pry it out.

Kurt

Appreciate the advice.

Thanks Kurt :cheers:

Well, some bad news for me. I pulled the transmission last week to swap out the leaking rear main seal. Today I wanted to clean the tranny as well as the clutch linkage cover, pivot arm and the engine plate that protects the flywheel. Cleaning the outside of the transmission I saw a lot of cracks all over the cover and the case itself. I can't believe the thing held together. I uploaded a couple pics to my Stangnet album. Check it out.

i'm taking my first vacation day on friday! and i don't mean for this year, i mean ever. finally get them as an employee of my company and i'm going to work on the cars all day. can't wait! just wish it was going to be 65* like tomorrow is supposed to be.

I remember going years on end without a vacation. It really sucks dude. I have to sympathize with you not having a vacation in so long. This year all my vacation is going to be eaten up going to see my grandmother. Ugh.

Kurt

Tony at Astroperformance just confirmed what you guys are saying.
Since there is no oil coming from the "cracks' it is just casting flaws.

As for vacationing, my family is about to go on our very first real vacation ever too!
For the last 14 years every so called vacation has been to visit family for holidays and that's never relaxing and rarely fun.
Now that we actually live where the family is (most of them anyways) we can take an actual vacation.
We're doing the San Diego thing.
The zoo, Sea World and Legoland.
We got one of those deals from Costco for discounts to all of them.