Adjustable Clutch Cables

MSM0075

May 13, 2003
Central Jersey
My father bought me one off ebay for my 5.0. Diden't realy want him to buy it but he went along and did. So for months he nagged me about installing it, so I finally did later that year. The clutch cable was VERY stiff compaird to the stock one, hard to race with, but I got use to it. About a year has passed with it installed in the car and the outter cable has pulled right thru the plastic firewall peice. Now I can't pull the fork all the way in. I tryed installing the stock cable back in but its not adjustable so i need to pry the clutch for in a bit to hook the cable on. Its a bit hard when your doing it in your driveway. I remember installing it the first time on a lift and it was a bit easier. So what I did for now is put a bunch of spacers on the 'ebay' cable, It should be okay to get to work for a few more days but in the mean time I'm going to have to order an GOOD adjustable one!

What do you guys think is the best one out there? I've heard BBK is very good, but would like to get some more opinions.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

MSM0075 said:
Well I got the stock cable back on w/o the firewall adjuster, seems to be MUCH too tight. Clutch cannot release all the way. Could routing be a problem? or is it beacuse of my aftermarket clutch quadrant?
i think routing can create a problem for ya (recollection from previous threads). not much help, but i think you are on the right track.
good luck.

im havin the same problem with my oem ford cable. its because the aftermarket quadrant you have is for an adjustable cable. i just ordered a upr triple hook quadrant. it will give you more slack in the line that will allow you to dial in the right amount of adjustment with the firewall adjuster. ive got a upr extreme firewall adjuster and it is a nice piece. ill let you know how the new quadrant works out when i get it later this week.

I'm not using a firewall adjuster. The stock quadrant and the Billit one are about hte same size so the only problem I could be having is routing...or at least I think so. I'm going to take a look at it in a few minutes.

FMS Quadrant, FMS Adjustable cable, no stretch and no problems.

The binding common to adjustable cables is often due to misplacement of the adjusting nuts on the fork end of the cable. This will also cause the cable to wear and fray. Both nuts should be on the back side of the fork so that the domed nut faces the fork and the other nut serves as jam or locknut to the domed nut.

I just tried rerouting my clutch cable (under the motor mount but on top of the k-member) the cable fits nicer. But it is still too tight. Now that I think of it it wouldent make a difference where its routed as long as both ends meet (firewall and bellhousing) beacuse the cable could not possibly be shorter or tighter, you guys understand?

I don't know, It must be the aftermarket quadrant then..I can't put the stock plastic one back in beacuse I broke the little peice. Guess I'm going to have to order the best adjustable clutch for now beacuse I can't drive the car the way it is now, if i tap the gas the clutch slips beacuse the pressure plate isn't released all the way..

id get a non adjustable oem cable and get a two or three hook quadrant. thats what im doing. its definetly the quadrant....mine is a bbk for an adjustable cable and it doesnt give enough slack. luckily its just enough that my clutch doesnt slip unless im really getting on it

jrichker said:
FMS Quadrant, FMS Adjustable cable, no stretch and no problems.

The binding common to adjustable cables is often due to misplacement of the adjusting nuts on the fork end of the cable. This will also cause the cable to wear and fray. Both nuts should be on the back side of the fork so that the domed nut faces the fork and the other nut serves as jam or locknut to the domed nut.
i agree, the FMS is a good quality piece, i havnt had any of the problems most people have with the adjustable cables