Another AOD-T5 question

Jmet

Jun 14, 2003
ok im looking for an 87-93 GT the only problem is i want a 5 spd and there arent any nice ones around here that arent asking more than $6500 or more. There are a few nice autos though. one in particular (under $4K) has trouble, the owner says it slips. what can cause it to "slip" and if i were to buy it would it be trouble to do the AOD-T5 swap? should i just keep looking???? i dont wanna spend alot at first maybe 4 or 5 grand, then save money for other parts. i could get this car for under 4.

• Sponsors (?)

Plan on spending between $2k-$3 on the swap, depending on what you can find in the JY and what price you can get the parts at (look around!!!).

An AOD w/ a "slip" is not going to last long.

If I were you, I'd keep looking for a 5spd, or at least find one w/ a good AOD so that you can get back some cash from your swap (I got $600 for my rebuilt AOD...)

MeanMussy said:
Plan on spending between $2k-$3 on the swap, depending on what you can find in the JY and what price you can get the parts at (look around!!!).

An AOD w/ a "slip" is not going to last long.

If I were you, I'd keep looking for a 5spd, or at least find one w/ a good AOD so that you can get back some cash from your swap (I got $600 for my rebuilt AOD...)

I got paid to do mine

let your money work for you. I picked up a wrecked 5.0 mustang for $425 with a good 5 speed and all gear, threw it all onto my bro's 88 aod notch, and made a profit off the rest of the car

the swap is a MAJOR pain in the ass, although it's not difficult, it's just very time consuming and comprehensive. It took my bro and I 4 night after work, working about 4 hours a night to do it,...so equivalant to a weekend, but we are VERY good at pulling mustang trannies. I would only suggest this to the hard core, or as a serious last ditch thing. If you are going to pay for it vs gettting a parts car, then you have to figure on adding $1500 to the cost of the aod stang you are buying, as you won't even get $200 for your used aod.

personally I'd hunt around a little more and spend a little more cash for a t5 mustang.