Anybody here with an Aerostar driveshaft

• Sponsors (?)

It was a factory alum DS, and if one was scored cheap, it was said to be cool. Seems to me one needs to find an AWD aerostar which could be hard. :shrug:

criticman said:
Hmm. 'Rents drove an Aerostar way back when. RWD, not AWD. Didn't know any of them were AWD. But yeah, finding one for cheap would be great if it works. The aftermarket ones aren't cheap.
Here is the basic info about it.

Well I have one from a 92 Aerostar sitting in my garage I got for $50 from my uncle. I haven't tried putting it on yet though. I am still trying to find out which u-joint needs to be replaced and what vehicle the u-joint needs to come from. If anyone has the part #, I could get on this this coming weekend.

There was one guy on here that I know of that has done this, but he hasn't been on for a long time and I haven't been able to get a hold of him.

Dtowncats said:
I am still trying to find out which u-joint needs to be replaced and what vehicle the u-joint needs to come from. If anyone has the part #, I could get on this this coming weekend.

There was one guy on here that I know of that has done this, but he hasn't been on for a long time and I haven't been able to get a hold of him.
Sometimes I wonder why I post.
Shawn 13 is the guy you are probably thinking of. In the link I posted [early in this thread], Jrichker relayed the info that Shawn had posted a while back.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Sometimes I wonder why I post.
Shawn 13 is the guy you are probably thinking of. In the link I posted [early in this thread], Jrichker relayed the info that Shawn had posted a while back.

Good luck.

You post cause you are one of the most knowlageable guys on stangnet and have helped alot of people out. You are the man HISSIN. Excuse my spelling I have had a few brewskies tonight.

I got an aluminum Aerostar drive shaft from my local yard 3 years ago for $20 - I thought it was just a regular rear wheel drive version - I had it cut and balanced and put it in my 1970 Mustang 5.0 5spd conversion. No problems with it. As far as the u-joint goes they say you need special end caps so there will not be a galvanic reaction with the steel touching the aluminum - otherwise you can just go to the auto parts store and ask to see a standard u-joint for the Mustang and the standard u-joint for the Aerostar and match them up - 2 ends for the Aerostar and 2 ends for the Mustang - this is called a conversion joint and is VERY common to have 2 different size ends on one u-joint.