Anyone else not liking short gears with their 5.0??

You don't top out at 120 with 3.73s.....at least not in a 5-spd, I've ridin in a 92 with 3.73s and had the needle buried, a lot depends on the trans gear set, as Many above have said

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone got a chart or gear calculator showing the comparison between 3.73's and maybe 3.27's/3.55's?

I wanna see how my MPH/RPM changes between the two gear i'm deciding on.

I spent 3 hours driving last night and hated the 3.73's. It' just too quick through the gears when i gun it.

People called me crazy when I went from 2:73 to 3:27. I was told that it would be a waste of money and I wouldn't notice much of a difference. However, I did notice a difference, not a WOW difference, but a difference none the less. I am very happy with the 3:27's. I don't race the car, so for the way I drive I am happy with the longer legs. It all depends on what you like and how you plan to drive your car.

RPM calculator:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/608.shtml

Anyone got a chart or gear calculator showing the comparison between 3.73's and maybe 3.27's/3.55's?

I wanna see how my MPH/RPM changes between the two gear i'm deciding on.

I spent 3 hours driving last night and hated the 3.73's. It' just too quick through the gears when i gun it.

Its easiest and most accurate to do it from a percentage standpoint. 3.55 is roughly 95.2% of 3.73. Take your current cruising RPMs (with the 3.73s) and multiply them by .952 to see what it'd be with the 3.55s at the same vehicle speed. Multiply by .877 for the 3.27s. Gear ratios are just multipliers, so the math is really easy- no need for an online calculator.

I would give it some more time. You just swapped to a 5 speed, correct? I believe once you are used to this combo (T5 & 3.73), you'll like it.

I think 3.73's are perfect for around town. Leave it in 3rd while taking turns, roll through stop signs in 2nd, etc. You also get to use 5th alot ealier (above 40 mph). I also drive frequently on the interstate. Turning 2500 rpm @ 75 mph is IMO about perfect. It's also nice not downshifting to 4th in order to pass on the left.

Actually, I wish I had 4:10's at the strip. Speaking of, changing nothing but gears dropped my 1/8th mile time by 4 tenths!! (2.73 to 3.73)

Edit: With mods in sig, 19-20 mpg city and 23 mpg highway.

My most favorite gears I had in a Fox were my 3.55s with a 5-speed. I never had 3.27s though. My H/C/I Fox had the 3.55s and I loved how it responded, that car was allot of fun to drive but scarry too. My fingers were always sore after driving it from white knuckeling it the whole way. :rlaugh:

Yeah man. Mines an aod but I HAD 373's first, then put in 410's and hate em! There fun around town, but most of my driving is on the highway. With 373's I was doing 2300 rpm, NICE! With 410's its revving out @ 65-70mph.
:notnice::notnice:
I came really close to going 4.10 on my AOD but knowing that this car would be used for short road trips (re: Vegas), as well as a daily driver, I decided to go 3.73. Still a night and day difference from the 2.73.

Now, on my HCI car I would not trade the 4.10. I absolutely love blasting through the gears in that thing. This car initially had a 3.73, which was great for the pre-HCI set-up. If I were going with a power-adder I would probably go with a 3.55.

As with anything else; it all comes down to what works best for the entire set-up and of course, personal preference.

okay so someone back me up on this.
i feel like my car has speed but it also feels like it is all over fast? which would make sense i guess. you would think anything that made you redline in a gear faster would be better/more enjoyable but is it just me or do you feel faster(butt dyno) when the rpms climb and you feel the speed?:shrug: would a lower gear be better for me. i'm thinking about dropping down to 3.08's or 3.27's?

If your not racing the car, no need for the 4.10, 4.30, 4.56 etc... gear. The 3.73 was always considered perfect, then people started hanging on the 3.90 gears. Personally run what you want.

Mike, sounds like you want a taller gear. I say 3.27 or 3.31. I know what you mean with the 3.73 making 1st and 2nd useless. If your not at the track on sticky tires, and the SOTP street feel isn't what you wanted, don't stick with that gear. Granted gears aren't the easiest to change, but they are far from impossible!

The thing I like about the 3.73s (other than the acceleration, of course) is the ability to move very slowly without slipping the clutch and burning it up. Parking lots and traffic jams are cake with 3.73s. I remember with the 2.73s, the car wouldn't go slower than 11-12 mph without bucking.

The thing I like about the 3.73s (other than the acceleration, of course) is the ability to move very slowly without slipping the clutch and burning it up. Parking lots and traffic jams are cake with 3.73s. I remember with the 2.73s, the car wouldn't go slower than 11-12 mph without bucking.

+1 yep, very annoying. :notnice: