anyone ever hear of 160# injectors

dragnazz5.0

My "0" key d0esn't w0rk, s0 I have t0 use the zer0
Nov 19, 2005
mooresville, nc
well this kid in class claims his friend is running 160# injectors on his turbo 331 mustang. i have seen the car and its nice and had a moster turbo on it with all the goodies but i find it hard to beleive that he would need injectors that big and ive never even heard of injectors that big. hes making just over 600 at the wheels on pump gas and 8 psi i think but this weekend he was gonna bump it to 14-15 psi and was hoping for close to 900 at the wheels. but yet again i still dont think he would need 160 lb injectors. i have a good friend that has a 306 with a blower making 26 psi and he runs 96# injectors and makes 750 at the wheels.

ps. its the same kid who claims top fuel is gonna start running turbos. im about to just shut this kid down next time he opens his mouth.

move this to talk if you want....i didnt realize i was in tech

• Sponsors (?)

I may be mistaken but I think there are two ways to rate injectors. I remember my dad was getting injectors for his 280zx and they wern't rated in lbs, I cant remember what they were rated in but I do remember the numbers were big. I'll see if I can find out.

Yes, that's very plausible. 160# injectors would work great in a 331 with a big turbo, and it is a big one if he's making 600rwhp with only 8psi. It's probably an 88mm. The reason they're necessary is that if he maxes that turbo out, he's going to be looking at making around 1400hp. 1100-1200 maxed if he's running an aggressive 76mm. Sounds like your friend's friend has a high dollar setup, and with any of the newer sequential fire stand-alone engine management systems (not sure about batch fire systems) they can actually be made to idle very well.

Chris

and it is a big one if he's making 600rwhp with only 8psi. It's probably an 88mm

Not to start a debate but I would assume 8psi from a smaller turbo working in that efficiency range would yield MORE HP than a big turbo at 8psi since its not operating in it's efficieny range.

8psi is 8psi whether its being made from a big or small turbo. The efficiency ranges are what makes the difference. Hence, there is no reason to assume it is a big turbo just because of the hp it is making at such a low psi.

You know, you're absolutely right. I've seen some questionable statements from people about particular outputs on the same motor from differing turbos. They talk about "how much air a turbo is moving" based on its size. Really, though, it doesn't matter how much air it wants to move, at a given pressure the engine is going to draw, I should think, a proportional volume of air.

I retract that bit of failed logic. I'd say rather that I believe the guy probably has little to no chance of making 900 rwhp at 14-15 psi unless we're talking about a solid-roller high revver, which is extremely unlikely unless it's a track only car. The theoretical volume of air that the engine draws will only double at that pressure and therefore the engine would have to be capable of 450 rwhp assuming (though impossible) that the turbo is operating at 100% efficiency. You'd need a high revving race-intended 331 to make those kind of numbers.

Chris