Anyone know if you can run the cobr/bullet brakes with....

• Sponsors (?)

I have wondered the same thing too. I'm trying to find a set of front brakes similar to the Cobra/Bullitt that wil still work with 15"skinnies on the front when I drag race. Anyone have any suggestions??

DB96GT said:
Yes I do, and no. :) The caliper would sit MUCH too high. You can get whole brake kits for less than $400.
Yes thanks...I 've already had them for a year now.....
Scheister...yea thats why I asked ...for now i run the hub centric adapter so I can also run a 15" 4.5" draglite..... but I'd like to tuck them back in a bit..
GI Joe

scheister said:
So you basically have a spacer that puts the front wheels out a little? Its good to know that I can get that brake kit and still run skinnies at the track if I want. Thanks man!
Oh yea...the M/M 1 3/8"adapter that has the lugs attached to it...moves the wheel out that much which is not excessive I 'd just like to eliminate them if possible but not at the expense of the better brake...unless of course i could run a better rotor but in 11"...sounds like thats not an option. The bullet guys run this setup I have all the time and I've never heard of a problem.
GI joe

T&Jboy said:
Dave quit messing with your car! :mad: On another note, do I need to drop your gas tank for you?

Andy

2 things...ifrst, when I came up there I did not know I was going to do the pumps so I'm one of those "idiots" that showed up with a near full (3/4) tank gas...so we gotta do something with that:)
Also...we dont have to drop it completely...I've learned to do them by just dropping all the straps and the drivers side hang (lowered with jack) and that way you dont have to pull that contrary bushing and feed tube out the side.

Anyway...what ever you want to do...I mean I appreciate all the help.....
I'll be there in the morning around noon either way to upgrade the pump set-up.
look forward to seeing you and the T&J performance team again.:)
Modularfordpowerhouse.com
GI Joe

DB96GT said:
I'm not sure what you mean.
OH sorry...I was saying ...thank you for the information, but I've bought the $399 kit about a year ago...what I really wanted to know was whether I could step down on the rotor size and keep the caliper...and you said no...
Thanks
GI Joe

GI Joe 97/02 said:
an 11" rotor ( or stock size) instead of the 13"

GI Joe

WHY????

99+ GT brake (10.8") actually have a LARGER caliper than the Cobras. This includes more pad surface. They both have twin pistons and are about equally rigid. In short, there is NO advantage in using the Cobra caliper for you.

If you want to upgrade your brakes from there pads (porterfield, carbotech, etc streetpads) and brake lines.

jfranci3 said:
WHY????

99+ GT brake (10.8") actually have a LARGER caliper than the Cobras. This includes more pad surface. They both have twin pistons and are about equally rigid. In short, there is NO advantage in using the Cobra caliper for you.

If you want to upgrade your brakes from there pads (porterfield, carbotech, etc streetpads) and brake lines.

Are you sure about that? Have you seen the PBR brand Cobra caliper? It's massive. It must be over twice as big as the one that I took off of my 96, and the 99+ isn't that much bigger than the SN-95's. It's also aluminum and is designed to dissipate heat. And if there was no advantage, then why did the SVT team upgrade the caliper? Also, if the Cobra caliper costs $75 to make, then I'd bet the stock 99+ costs $10. In fact, it's the same caliper that Baer brakes uses in most of it's kits.

I'll agree with you in one sense though, that if he's not interested in braking performance (more interested in 1/4 mile times), than there's no point in using any parts in the Cobra kit.

The Cobra rotor is wider too. So I'm pretty sure that he would not be able to use his Cobra caliber with the thinner stock rotor.

DB96GT said:
Are you sure about that?
Yes, here is a good reference http://sn95brakes.cjb.net/

Have you seen the PBR brand Cobra caliper? It's massive.
So is the 99+ caliper

It must be over twice as big as the one that I took off of my 96, and the 99+ isn't that much bigger than the SN-95's.
The 99+ brakes don't even compare to the 96's

It's also aluminum and is designed to dissipate heat.
How much heat do you think you'd generate drag racing, auto-x, or on the street? Not enough to worry about.

And if there was no advantage, then why did the SVT team upgrade the caliper? Also, if the Cobra caliper costs $75 to make, then I'd bet the stock 99+ costs $10. In fact, it's the same caliper that Baer brakes uses in most of it's kits.
I'd bet the 99+ caliper costs a lot more than that to make. The cost should be somewhat comperable. I don't have any pricing information though.
Why did they use a different caliper? With such a long pad, the caliper needs to match the rotor curviture radius. The pad, caliper, and rotor need to have the same reletive arch. If you want to see an extreme case of this look at the Porsche Carrera GT's brakes.

I'll agree with you in one sense though, that if he's not interested in braking performance (more interested in 1/4 mile times), than there's no point in using any parts in the Cobra kit.
Yep

The Cobra rotor is wider too. So I'm pretty sure that he would not be able to use his Cobra caliber with the thinner stock rotor.
He could shave the pads, but again it's not worth it.

sorry to hijack but this will just take a sec. i have a bullitt and need to get new rear rotors, i have heard that the bullitts use the same rear brakes as a gt, is this true? either way i want the drl/slt rotors from gef and need to know which ones to get, the 11'' or the 11.65'', anybody know???

SMRcalidiv said:
sorry to hijack but this will just take a sec. i have a bullitt and need to get new rear rotors, i have heard that the bullitts use the same rear brakes as a gt, is this true? either way i want the drl/slt rotors from gef and need to know which ones to get, the 11'' or the 11.65'', anybody know???

They have the same rear rotors as the Cobra. The caliper is the same on the bullitt/gt/cobra, but since the bullitts and cobras have a thicker rotor in the rear, the pad is thinner. The bullitts and the cobra also have a different mount for the caliper, which allows it to accept the larger diameter rotor.

I'd recommend going to www.tirerack.com and getting the Brembo plain rotors there. They have a good price, and unless you want bling bling, the plain rotor is a much better piece. Drilled or slotted rotors aren't recommended for any performance application.

jfranci3 said:
I'd recommend going to www.tirerack.com and getting the Brembo plain capliers there. They have a good price, and unless you want bling bling, the plain rotor is a much better piece. Drilled or slotted rotors aren't recommended for any performance application.

I think you meant get the Brembo rotors there; I couldn't find any just caliper deals. But, I have to say that $62 for replacement, Brembo 13" rotors IS a damn good price!

David

jfranci3 said:
Yes, here is a good reference http://sn95brakes.cjb.net/

So, the 99+ calipers are pretty nice. I stand corrected. I could swear I've looked at them more closely than at through the wheels of the newer Stangs. Though I am curious as to the benefits the SVT team say in upgrading the Bullitt and Cobra calipers. Or was it simply that they are different because the 13" rotors are wider?